Old 11-01-2003, 09:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Parts for 58 water heater

Well I have been playing with my water heater and it doesn't seem to want to work. The pilot light will stay lit but the main flame will never come on. I checked it in the dark and when switching from pilot to On the flame inside the tube stays the same. I wanted to replace the main control unit but the local RV shop said that the new controlers have the thermastat built into them. Looking at those I realized they would not work in my system. The thermastat is seperate form the main valve and the thermocoupler is two wires not a tube like the new heaters use. Are there parts available for these older heaters or is it time to replace it? Any help would be great.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	3648  

Deluxe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Well I was able to remove the thermostat and install an attwood replacement unit and it works great. The only other thing I had to upgrade to the newer type was the thermocoupler.

Old 12-23-2003, 08:14 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member
Same Problem

We have about the same problem with our OEM 63 WH. Pilot lights, but can't get beyond that. Can you tell me exactly what you bought and from where to make yours work? I'm clueless with this old water heater and don't want to replace it if I don't have to. Thanks!!
Alan and Mardel
Alan and Mardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 01:35 PM   #4
Site Team
, Minnesota
Same problem

I have a '59 that I haven't torn apart yet, but expect to need parts. Help with more info?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 06:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
I'll take a pic of the finished product and post it as soon as I can. As far as I know any RV shop should carry the replacement. I got mine in Miami at K&K.

Good Luck