Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Scio , New York
PAR pump not working

I know you guys have seen many questions, and I spent the last 2 nights reading through most posts I could find, and this is the endpoint I got to.

Water is full.

1971 Tradewind - original pump.

Pump runs, but doesn't pump. I replaced hoses, which will need replacing whether pump does or not.

On right inside of cabinet there is a clear plastic filter looking thing, that is empty, and I am figuring this is the intake side of the pump. With both hoses unhooked from pump, I poured water in a funnel into the intake hose, funnel was full, turned pump on, and nothing. Water level in funnel stayed the same.

Just for grins I tried the outlet side also, in case I was wrong in my initial assumption.

I would like to assume that if the pump was working, I should have seen some water movement, or am I missing something.

Thanks for the help!

Colin

I am ready to buy a new pump if I need to, will keep the PAR in case I decide to go back to original someday, and I can rebuild it then. Any suggestions on the exact pump to buy? There are some choices, and I am guessing blindly without some guidance.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
You can still get replacement parts under the name Jabsco, but I replaced mine with your basic shurflo pump model 2088, about 80 bucks.

Kevin

Old 07-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It may just need priming.

Make sure you have water at the inlet to the pump, then disconnect the discharge hose and run the pump. If you get water, then reconnect the discharge hose and open a faucet.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbailey97 View Post
I know you guys have seen many questions, and I spent the last 2 nights reading through most posts I could find, and this is the endpoint I got to.

Water is full.

1971 Tradewind - original pump.

Pump runs, but doesn't pump. I replaced hoses, which will need replacing whether pump does or not.

On right inside of cabinet there is a clear plastic filter looking thing, that is empty, and I am figuring this is the intake side of the pump. With both hoses unhooked from pump, I poured water in a funnel into the intake hose, funnel was full, turned pump on, and nothing. Water level in funnel stayed the same.

Just for grins I tried the outlet side also, in case I was wrong in my initial assumption.

I would like to assume that if the pump was working, I should have seen some water movement, or am I missing something.

Thanks for the help!

Colin

I am ready to buy a new pump if I need to, will keep the PAR in case I decide to go back to original someday, and I can rebuild it then. Any suggestions on the exact pump to buy? There are some choices, and I am guessing blindly without some guidance.
The clear water filter, being that old, more than likely is the problem.

Bypass it and see what happens.

Also the original pumps need to be overhauled every 20 or 25 years.

Kits are still some what available.

Andy
Old 07-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Scio , New York
Pulled the pump out, put it on a bench, and took the motor/pulley off. One of the valves was stuck, popped it open, cleaned it up, and pump works like a charm now.

Now I just have to figure out why I have no water coming out of the hot water lines.

Thanks for the help guys!

Colin

Looks like the Par is going to get me through a few more years. I think the previous owner rebuilt it not long ago.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
If you don't already have one, an accumulator tank is a nice addition to a PAR system. I did it with mine and it's a world of difference.

SHURflo Nylon Accumulator Tank, 24 oz. #182-200

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Scio , New York
Where does that go? Downstream of the pump?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
It goes in the line somewhere on the output side of the pump. Typically a tee is inserted into the line and the accumulator attaches to the tee.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Yup and if you really want to get fancy install a 3 way valve on the intake side of the pump, then when you want to winterize, the pump can distribute the antifreeze all through the freshwater system.

kevin
Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbailey97 View Post
Now I just have to figure out why I have no water coming out of the hot water lines.

Thanks for the help guys!

Colin

Looks like the Par is going to get me through a few more years. I think the previous owner rebuilt it not long ago.
I rebuilt my pump with a piece of rubber roofing material (like tire inner tube). You may not have found all the hot water by-pass valves yet, probly still some valves around the hot water tank to find. It's also possible that all the hot water faucets are plugged up with old bits of gaskets and gunk at the same time (been there).

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hoses, plumbing, pump, water, water pump