Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Our beloved plumbing...

I took these pictures and hope your mind can determine whats up here...There aparently is a pump right in the middle at the wall and two outlets (one on the right and one on the left) Both have elbow fittings. The one on the left (if you are on your knees staring into the cabinetry with a flash light) is leaking...there IS one of those bicycle tightners on this side that is leaking...so we have turned the water off. Now, do we loosen the bicycle tightner, pull it off and glue this? Or what- we want to know anything you all may know before we do anything...because we were wondering if the pump thing in the middle is the problem? There, as a final note are two off and on valves closer to my knees are they to be open or closed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2135.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	80174   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2138.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	80175  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2133.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	80176  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I would try tightening the clamps first. If it still leaks, the rubber hose may have hardened.Replace the clamp & rubber hose if tightening doesn't work.

Do the lines after the shut offs go down through the floor? If so these may be line or fresh water tank drains for winterizing.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Angel got down there for a bit...then we got thru taking baths, then I stepped outside to turn the gas off and the water...and water was running from a small hose below the kitchen sink area. so one of those turn knobs must be some sort of drain..thanks for talking back!
Old 05-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
So far.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
I took these pictures and hope your mind can determine whats up here...There aparently is a pump right in the middle at the wall and two outlets (one on the right and one on the left) Both have elbow fittings. The one on the left (if you are on your knees staring into the cabinetry with a flash light) is leaking...there IS one of those bicycle tightners on this side that is leaking...so we have turned the water off. Now, do we loosen the bicycle tightner, pull it off and glue this? Or what- we want to know anything you all may know before we do anything...because we were wondering if the pump thing in the middle is the problem? There, as a final note are two off and on valves closer to my knees are they to be open or closed?
Yesterday we loosened the clamps and I used an exacto knife to split some of the ends, so today we do the replacement. I tell you what, that sure is a tight space to reach into and manuver a screwdriver....
Old 05-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
...went to autozone and purchased a section of hose (half inch) then they advised me a little vaseline on the interior, and use the clamps again...Bought new BETTER clamps and it went right on, did a water test and everything, or one more thing is fixed in here. Instead of wrestling with a screw driver we used a small ratchet on the clamps.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Just a word of caution...

It this for your potable water? If so, I would be careful of hose purchased from an auto supply store unless it is specifically noted as suitable for drinking water applications.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
I noticed that too...the original hose had the words, 'for cold water only'. We only use the water for batheing etc right now, We use bottled water mostly. I think the pressure from the outside was putting too much on this pipe...I know there has to be a regulator somewhere in here and I thought it was automatic...But lastly the guys at the popular auto store acted goofy about the purpose of the hose, and I figure they sold us a new piece of radiater hose (half inch). Thenext item we havent explored is the water purifier/filter close by...know anything about it? We have never openned it for cleaning...I can look in the manual too, I think it mentions something about charcoal.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
I noticed that too...the original hose had the words, 'for cold water only'. We only use the water for batheing etc right now,
Some chemicals can be absorbed through the skin, in some cases ingestion is not the only way to get sick. I would make sure that the hose you used is NSF rated or simply rated for potable use should the area you are talking about feed the tanks or the water system that comes into contact with people. If it is simply a discharge hose, then I would not worry about it, but if any of it comes into contact with the water supply, I would look long and hard at it. A lot of crap we buy at discount store and even non discount stores is made in China and a significant number of items from China have been found to have lead and other nasty things contained within them.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
When I get back down that way I will ask them about the chemistry of the hose...but I am figuring this one piece is alright. Around here, the water is channeled from a small lake and they treat it...My brother called it 'industrial water' and not to drink it. So we have been on bottled water since forever...That brings up a question...where in Americais there a good source of drinking water from underneath?