Old 09-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #15

Seattle , Washington
Hi my name is Rob over in Seattle WA. Do you still have the RV500? If so how much? You can e-mail me or call my cell. Thank you very much.. andrewsre2001@yahoo.com Ph# (253)205-9817.

dizzyizzy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshovic View Post
As far as tankless goes, I was interested last year, and looked into it with Lewster and the installation user manuals (RV500).
Though it looks good in general, it is not practical in cold weather. Freezeup is a major potential, with major damage. It has a heater and a frost pack, but the cautions and precautions against freezing
convinced me it is a bigger hassle than it is worth, if you go or stay where it freezes.
If you go only where temps are higher than 40 F than it sounds good.
Politely disagree...we use ours regularly in temperatures below freezing, and as long as it has power and propane its fine. it will light off and heat up automagically to protect all the innards including the electronics from freezing. Just have to leave it turned on...

Setting its temperature control knob to "winter" gets plenty of hot water in temperatures that result in the city water hose freezing up right after dark. (Yeah, I disconnected even earlier the next night--just dumb lucky the hose and external filter did not burst. )

My wife would probably not appreciate it if we did not have a tankless to support her long hot shower habit

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
But, if the water heater is off, and you are travelling down the road in sub-zero temps, freezing is a potential. And if you run out of propane, or if you turn it off to replenish propane canisters, or lose power it may freeze, or if you (as many do), keep all propane appliances off when traveling, or if the electronics has a fault, or if you leave it outside for a night when you arrive home, turn everything off and the temp goes low, it may freeze. These are all low prob events, but there are a lot of them, and I (or my wife) have made all the mistakes above at least once, (but without serious consequences). As long as it is on, no problem.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
IMHO, with reasonable care the benefits greatly outweigh the risks of anything going wrong. I've never had to shut off all propane to change out a tank--that's why the AS has an auto-switch regulator, and I carry two spare tanks in cold weather. I had more issues with the cheap 6 gallon standard hot water heater due to noise, drain and winterizing issues, and low capacity for the way we camp. The biggest issue was running out of hot water during the third shower in a row--usually mine...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote