Old 06-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
one problem solved..now need to find new burner!

I finally figured out the Bowen hot water heater problem that was causing the orange sooty flame.
I disconnected the long gas line under the trailer that feeds the heater in the rear from the T up front. I also disconnected the short gas line from the heater shutoff valve to the heater controller.
I simply blew these lines out with compressed air, reconnected everything, and now it works again. Didn't see a lot of stuff come out, but apparently, it doesn't take much.
I could also use a new main burner tube, and am having trouble finding one. I called Atwood and asked, and they said "no longer available" and the current stuff won't work.
I'm not convinced if they really know whether a new one will work or not, or if they just don't want to be bothered with it.
Has anyone replaced their main burner on a Bowen G6-10? Where did you find it?
almost there now............yes!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I don't remember my Bowen model number. I threw it away when it was evident there were no burners to find. Mine worked but was VERY rusty. I even tried a few RV salvage yards and the opinion they offered was "they don't make those any more and any used ones you find will not be any better than the one you got." So I am just now finishing up installing a new Atwood. Good thing that I did not find a burner because when I pulled the old Bowen it was leaking. Rotted the floor under it to so I did some floor patchwork. Looks good if I do say so. The hookups to the Atwood of course weren't the same as the Bowen. I installed a bypass for winterizing and that made the water connections easier. I took pictures along the way and plan to post the insulation step by step...right down to how I am adapting the old Bowen door. I am proud of me . So if you are intent on still looking try the salvage yards. Also research RV parts and repair shops that have been around a long time. You might just find a guy that 'remembers' that he has 'got one of those somewhere in back.'

Neil and Lynn

Neil and Lynn

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt48
I finally figured out the Bowen hot water heater problem that was causing the orange sooty flame.
I disconnected the long gas line under the trailer that feeds the heater in the rear from the T up front. I also disconnected the short gas line from the heater shutoff valve to the heater controller.
I simply blew these lines out with compressed air, reconnected everything, and now it works again. Didn't see a lot of stuff come out, but apparently, it doesn't take much.
I could also use a new main burner tube, and am having trouble finding one. I called Atwood and asked, and they said "no longer available" and the current stuff won't work.
I'm not convinced if they really know whether a new one will work or not, or if they just don't want to be bothered with it.
Has anyone replaced their main burner on a Bowen G6-10? Where did you find it?
almost there now............yes!!!
HI John, Send me a pic of your burner tube. If you have it out still that would be best. I will check my local obsolete parts guru to see if they have the one you need. They had one left for my 40 yr old Bowen , it 's worth a shot ! Glad you got it working !
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Hi Chris....
I didn't take the burner tube out, but I can see that the flame end is rusted badly and pieces have fallen away...leaving the end very jagged. This can't be good for the flame.
It "looks" pretty much like the ones I see for the current Atwoods, but maybe the dimensions are different. I'll try to shoot a couple of closeup pictures and post them.
thanks
Old 06-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Hi Chris....
I didn't take the burner tube out, but I can see that the flame end is rusted badly and pieces have fallen away...leaving the end very jagged. This can't be good for the flame.
It "looks" pretty much like the ones I see for the current Atwoods, but maybe the dimensions are different. I'll try to shoot a couple of closeup pictures and post them.
thanks
The rusty end was the same condition mine was. The local RV guy tried every burner he had trying to match it but the but the lengths of his finds were very different. Yours is a little newer than mine so give it a try even if you have to reconfigure the mounting. Like I said (if that old tank is sound) you might find one 'in the back somewhere'.

Neil and Lynn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater Burner 003.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	39741  
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 06-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Ok....here's a fresh pic.....Let me know if you need any other shots...
thank you!

Old 06-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
thank you!
That'll do. I think the newer Attwoods are a bit longer on the outside end. I'll take this pic down there when I get a chance, hopefully next week.

You wouldn't happen to have the model # of your WH by chance ? Just incase they ask me.
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
thank you!
That looks like the type my RV guy was showing me. We decided it would take a lot of reconfigurating to make it work on my old Bowen. BUT I think it may work for you even if you have to redo the mounting and gas hook up a little. Go for it.

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 06-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
The model is a Bowen G6-10. They must have used this same heater in a lot of trailers for quite a few years. It does seem like there would still be some burner tubes out there somewhere!
thanks