Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #1

1975 Argosy 28
Cambria , California
No water to shower or sink

I just bought a 1975 28' airstream , and I have no water at the bathroom sink and shower. The toilet has water as does the kitchen sink. Is there a valve that needs to be turned on ? I'm hooked up to city water.
The other problem I have is with the hot water heater. I can't figure out how to light it. in the manual it says to press the red button and light. there is no red button.
Any feed back will help me..

Thanks..

Ken
SkyriderC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Ken,
The plumbing isn't too hard to follow back to the source so just follow the pipes back to see if there are any closed valves.

Remove the aerators from the ends of the faucets to make sure there is no gunk in them that may be restricting the flow. Also if the trailer has not been used in a while and had winterizing anti-freeze in the lines it may have gelled and is blocking the mixer valves in your non functioning faucets. You may need to take them apart for cleaning. But I would start with the search for a valve and clean the aerators before I would start dismantling faucets.

I am not sure I can help with the water heater as the water heaters on mine are electric ignition without a pilot light. I am sure somebody else will chime in regarding the water heater question.

PS - Welcome to the wonderful world of Airstreaming.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
On the top of your gas valve is a button that will push down when the dial is pointing to pilot.Button could be blue or red,no matter what the color push it down,follow the smallest line to the burner,it will have an elongated bulb on the end [that is the thermocoupler ]apply match ,or grill lighter to pilot light gas tube ,which is right beside it,it may take a little while to get the air bled out of the line.Once pilot has lit still hold button for a min. or so.Let up on the button pilot light should stay on,if it goes out do it again and hold longer till light stays on, turn knob to on,and main burner should fire.light stove first,that will help bleed gas line.If you cannot get pilot to stay on replace thermocoupler.Hope this helps.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
By the way welcome to the forum,you will find more people ,who know more about airstreams ,than any where else!!! Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
I had a similar problem with my water in my 76. I was able to get water to some areas and not others. Someone suggested that I turn off all the faucets and turn the pump on. Let them pump run until the lines are fully loaded and then try turning on the area that isnt working. It might be your pipes are a little calcified. The pressure helps push out the buildup and then it worked fine. If this is your problem then beware of the kaboom that happens when the pipe releases the blockage. I was surprised but it worked very well in my unit and now everything is flowing like it should.
rollingbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Spearfish , South Dakota
Your water problem is most likely a valve that's turned off. Since you are on city water, the valve is probably right there under your bathroom sink. Your mileage may vary...

As far as your water heater goes, some replacement regulator units don't have a button. If that's the case, the knob says "Pilot" on it. Set your knob on "Pilot" and turn the knob as far as it will go beyond that in the same direction it took to get there. That is likely your "red button" and will force propane to the pilot. Hold it there for a little while until the thermocouple is warmed up. Once you can let the knob go back to "pilot" without the flame going out, it's safe to turn it to "On".

Good luck!

Bob
Spearfish, SD
Ketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #7

1975 Argosy 28
Cambria , California
No water to shower or sink

Thank you for your help, I'll keep trying ..
SkyriderC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water heater