Old 08-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

2012 19' International
spokane , Washington
No Hot Water

Ok, so I'm a newbie AND a girl...went camping for the first time this weekend with shore power. Hit the "electric" button on the wall by my "bathroom sink", waited 45 mins...still no hot water. Then, turned on my propane, hit the "gas" button by the "bathroom sink", waited 45 mins...still no hot water. Checked the breaker to make sure it was on. It was. Toggled it off and on. Still, nothing. Does anyone have any idea what to do? Thanks in advance. I'm starting to think I may need a degree to operate this 19 ft technical wonder.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Are you out of propane?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Oh you do have shore power, check all the breakers making sure they are on ,sounds like maybe electrical.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Make sure your bypass valves are set to allow water to the water heater.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by juroz View Post
Ok, so I'm a newbie AND a girl...went camping for the first time this weekend with shore power. Hit the "electric" button on the wall by my "bathroom sink", waited 45 mins...still no hot water. Then, turned on my propane, hit the "gas" button by the "bathroom sink", waited 45 mins...still no hot water. Checked the breaker to make sure it was on. It was. Toggled it off and on. Still, nothing. Does anyone have any idea what to do? Thanks in advance. I'm starting to think I may need a degree to operate this 19 ft technical wonder.
Dear Juroz, light a burner on your stove. If it lights there may have been air in the lines which you just released. Try lighting the water heater again. If it won't light it might mean that your propane tanks are empty. Open both tanks, check to see if there's a green line showing on the indicator between the tanks, try turning the tank selector from one tank to the other. If you do have propane, or that you haven't got your regulator set up to automatically switch from one tank to the other. You may not know that when you turn the propane switch on the red light flashes and then goes out. If the red light stays on, it's because (A) it failed to light, or (B) after lighting successfully you've run out of propane.

If your stove lights and the water heater does not, it might be that the gas is cut off to the water heater. Check that too. If the GAS to the water heater is turned OFF make sure you have water in the tank before lighting. The ELECTRIC elements do burn out, 2-3 years usual lifespan.
--------------------------------------

REAL TRUTH

I am a single female over 60, and at my age, the Airstream still draws men like moths to a flame. Even with 9 years experience I still occasionally have an "OH NO" moment, and within 10 minutes two or three men show up and help me figure out the problem.

Mostly here in the south they are gentlemen who just assume I'm a fragile flower who does need help - and much as I like being able to do most of the stuff myself - I REALLY appreciate someone stepping in to help. My electric jack FAILED when I brought my 2012 Eddie Bauer home from the dealer - I was tired but matter-of-factly went and got the hand crank, only to find out that the crank was the wrong one for that particular jack. I tossed the crank back and went hunting for a second one (not to be found) when a pleasant voice said, "having problems getting unhitched?" Next thing I know three guys are figuring out what was wrong (loose spliced wires). They redid the splices and added shrink wrap, re-wrapped the wires, checked the ground wire, and got the jack going again. Turned out my jack uses a standard socket instead of a special tool.

That night I made beef stew and invited them and their wives to dinner. Turns out one wasn't married, but that's another post.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I would like to hear what you did with the unmarked guy!
Old 08-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Juroz, welcome to the forum. Spokane! It is a great place and the guys out at Spokane Airstream are really great. If you are really stumped you can call on them for advice.

I think Foiled Again gave you some good advice.

Dick
Old 08-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I would like to hear what you did with the unmarked guy!
I did make that sound titillating didn't I? At my age the first thing I look for in a man.... is a pulse.

He has one, but also has had 4 heart attacks. Keepin' it PG.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Can he still drive at night?
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #10

2012 19' International
spokane , Washington
Plenty of propane...thanks for the thought!
Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #11

2012 19' International
spokane , Washington
Here's me throwing you all a big hug for your help! I think (know) Dave hit it on the head....I didn't know there was a bypass valve....will work on finding it this next weekend. Such a pleasure to be a part of such a great crowd!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #12

2012 19' International
spokane , Washington
Thank you so much for the advise... I will remember all of it!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
There are three valves in the vicinity of the water heater that need to be properly set. Two are in pipes to/from the heater. They should be turned so that the handle is parallel to the pipe. These valves let cold water in and hot water out. The third valve is the bypass valve and is used for winterizing. It is in a pipe that runs between the other two pipes. It should be set so that the handle is perpendicular to the pipe it is in. For winterizing, all three valves are set to positions opposite of those described above.

Sorry if you already knew this. It should be in your manual, if you got one, but many with pre-owned trailers don't get manuals and aren't aware that they are available for download on the Airstream website.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Bypass? Oops. Might also need a new heating element.

Bruce