Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Next to last chapter on Atwood WH repair

I had reported that my WH was not working on electric, just fine on gas. Because I did not have 12v at the yellow solenoid wire, I replaced the board. Probably not that since I measured voltage with the coil energized, instead of open circuit.
So today I decided to replace the element and relay on the back. Now on my 25FB the only way to get to the back is to partially pull the WH and stick your head in the outside compartment. I would like to strangle the folks at AS who designed no access. There is a panel next to the bed that could have been removable but it is screwed in with no access to the screws, as long as the WH is installed.
Well, I found the culprit. The relay was toast, one load contact had melted and it also fried one of the solenoid contacts. The element resistance was infinite, open.
But, it took me 3.5 hours to remove the element with a CAMCO element wrench because I had no leverage, no ability to get in there with two hands. I could not pull the WH any further than the foam casing.
Finally, got that out, new element, new wiring, new relay. 9 AM to 4:30 PM.
If someone had come by and offered 25 cents for my trailer, they could have had it. Now I have to wait for some putty tape to put it back in and test it.
It worked on gas so if my labors did not fix electric, it is going to be gas only. I will never replace that element again. What a POS!!!

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Dometic will not help

I buttoned up the system and ran a test and it still will not work on AC. The relay solenoid has the right resistance, 160 ohms, the old one had indeed shorted. There is AC power at the connections but the relay will not activate.
At the control board, with the harness disconnected, I measure 12 vdc at the yellow pin. But when I connect the harness, I am only measuring 0.7 volts at the harness connection.
I tried to get Dometic to tell me what this might indicate and they won't help consumers, referred me to service centers. My local RV service is a service center but does not have a board tester or any knowledge of the electronics.
I tried two other service centers and they do not know anything about the electronics.
I suppose the shorted relay solenoid could have damaged the electronics on the circuit board and it is the only thing left to replace, although these things are 100+ dollars. I wish I could find a schematic for the board. It still works fine on gas.
Larry
Old 06-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Will you take.50 today?

Would it be easier to just replace the entire unit?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

The stupid thing works on gas so it seems foolish to spend $700 on a new one and another two days to remove and install it. If I must go that route, I will just install an on-demand gas. I did like the AC ability, saving propane in campgrounds. But if I cannot get there, on-demand seems more useful. Yesterday was 25 cents, not sure about today....
Larry
Old 06-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Former thread is here FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...em-116948.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Check the circuit breaker / fuse in your converter?
Old 06-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Already did that. No problems. 12v at circuit board, 124v AC at junction box. But thanks.
Larry
Old 06-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

I just heard from Airstream support and they told me that these days the little panel I mentioned is being installed as removable to gain access to the back of the water heater from inside the trailer. As I said on mine, it is pocket screwed fore and aft and no access to the screws. If I want to get in the back again, I will cut the screws with a Sawzall! Wish I had known that before yesterday...
Larry
Old 06-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

The saga continues

I tried to get a warranty replacement on the board I put in the water heater. The internet vendor won't and insists that Atwood must. Atwood says return the board to vendor, who won't take it or have a local Atwood service center test the board and return it to Atwood. My local Atwood service center does not have a board tester and Atwood's answer to that is take the whole trailer to the service center, have them troubleshoot the whole thing, and if it is the board they can send it to Atwood. Of course I bought my board from an internet vendor. So this would be more costly than just buying another board.
Instead, I ordered a Dinosaur UIB64. Made in USA and warranted by the manufacturer regardless of vendor. If not that, I do not know what else. I am in water heater purgatory.
Larry
Old 06-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I buttoned up the system and ran a test and it still will not work on AC. The relay solenoid has the right resistance, 160 ohms, the old one had indeed shorted. There is AC power at the connections but the relay will not activate.
At the control board, with the harness disconnected, I measure 12 vdc at the yellow pin. But when I connect the harness, I am only measuring 0.7 volts at the harness connection.
I tried to get Dometic to tell me what this might indicate and they won't help consumers, referred me to service centers. My local RV service is a service center but does not have a board tester or any knowledge of the electronics.
I tried two other service centers and they do not know anything about the electronics.
I suppose the shorted relay solenoid could have damaged the electronics on the circuit board and it is the only thing left to replace, although these things are 100+ dollars. I wish I could find a schematic for the board. It still works fine on gas.
Larry
Larry,

We had a similar issue with our Atwood hwh, but before trying a new element, we decided to try a new circuit board, which we were able to get for less than $100 from Amazon.

You'll need to know your model number (which we were able to find in the owner's manual that the PO of our 2001 LY moho had carefully preserved). With that number, you can find the part number for the circuit board.

The installation of the new circuit board was very easy and worked like a charm.

Good luck!
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

I replaced the circuit board first because some measurements indicated a fault. I might have fried the new one, don't know. But when that did not work, I pulled the water heater and found the relay burnt and the element open, infinite resistance. It could be that the shorted relay faulted the circuit board. I have replaced the relay and element and am awaiting a Dinosaur board to replace the Atwood board I think is bad. Should have it Saturday? Last hope

Larry
Old 06-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
This may help, or not....

Diagnosis is on page 11, A schematic for the a heater with AC operation is on page 23.

Atwood-Mobile-Service-Training-Manuals-2007.pdf

I think you are on the right track. The control board should be supplying 12V to the relay. The thermostat and cutout are common to gas and electric, I don't see any reason from the outside that the controller shouldn't be working.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Thanks Al. The real puzzle is that with the harness disconnected there is 12v at the relay pin. But when I connect the harness and measure voltage on the yellow wire it is only .75v. So the 160 ohm relay coil should not drag the voltage down, it is not shorted, although the old relay was. I can only conclude that something in the board failed due to the shorted relay coil.

Larry
Old 06-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
On my 6 gallon Atwood that is gas/electric, there is a switch that activates the voltage to the relay through the circuit board. You could by-pass the circuit board and the relay and just wire it direct.

By the way, with all that being said-I opted to get a new water heater that is Gas/Electric without the electronics. Manual light for gas, straight 110v through the switch, all is good. Sometimes technology gets in the way. I don't mind having to go outside to light water heater-and if it is raining-I just flip the electric switch-plenty of hot water for two full showers.

BTW the water heater was under 400.00 from PPL motorhomes out of Houston, TX.

Good luck. Mine drove me stir crazy as well until I bit the bullet and went the way above.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Thanks Al. The real puzzle is that with the harness disconnected there is 12v at the relay pin. But when I connect the harness and measure voltage on the yellow wire it is only .75v. So the 160 ohm relay coil should not drag the voltage down, it is not shorted, although the old relay was. I can only conclude that something in the board failed due to the shorted relay coil.

Larry
It is quite possible that the relay driver circuit has failed such that it can only deliver a small amount of current to the load. At 12 volts, the coil would draw 75 mA. 0.75 volts across 160 ohms would indicate just under 5 mA of current. So it seems that the driver can only deliver that, and not the 75 mA necessary to actuate the relay.

This is a reasonable failure mode if the circuit was not designed to survive operating into a short.

Al
Old 06-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Thanks, Al that is good to know.

What brand and model of heater fits in there and is manual lp and AC? No electronics might be good...
Larry
Old 06-29-2017, 07:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
I tried to get a warranty replacement on the board I put in the water heater. The internet vendor won't and insists that Atwood must. Atwood says return the board to vendor, who won't take it or have a local Atwood service center test the board and return it to Atwood. My local Atwood service center does not have a board tester and Atwood's answer to that is take the whole trailer to the service center, have them troubleshoot the whole thing, and if it is the board they can send it to Atwood. Of course I bought my board from an internet vendor. So this would be more costly than just buying another board.
Instead, I ordered a Dinosaur UIB64. Made in USA and warranted by the manufacturer regardless of vendor. If not that, I do not know what else. I am in water heater purgatory.
Larry
This won't help you solve your problem but it is germane to the thread.
Last year the Atwood water heater started leaking. After some effort I located the source it was a faulty weld of one of the fittings to the tank. It was very difficult to locate since I had remove the entire unit and than had to pressurize the tank. Contacted AS was told to contact Atwood. They said it was out of warranty. I told them it was a faulty weld, and it took me a year to finally find the source and it was your lousy workmanship. They would not relent. I was so cranked up about it I threw the WH in the truck and drove 3 hours to Elkheart. I stormed in there with the unit ,the supervisor took one
look and told the man I argued with over the phone to give this man a new unit. All together it took me three days but got my new Water heater. It was bitch to remove and reinstall.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:50 PM   #18

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
I just wanted to chime in and say

I'm so sorry. Problems like this can drive a good man insane, best of luck to you
DDickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Larry,
I don't know the answer to your question. All current combination models appear to have a controller board. The LP versions with a pilot light instead of electronic ignition appear not to have a controller.

There is a process to test the controller board with a multimeter in the document I posted.

Al
Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Thanks, Al that is good to know.

What brand and model of heater fits in there and is manual lp and AC? No electronics might be good...
Larry
As I mentioned in Post #14, this is the water heater I went with.

80-1348
More...
WATER HEATER ATWOOD - GC6AA-8 - GAS ELECTRIC 6 GAL...Regularly $646.00 On Sale for Only $357.50
Manufacturer #s: GC6AA-8, 96117 $357.50
Free Shipping

This is from PPL
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote