Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
Advocate28

2020 16' Basecamp
Sheboygan , Wisconsin
Newbie Water Heater Question

I had my 16' Sport winterized(first time since I bought it 1-17) and haven't used the water since, except when hooked up to cold at RV parks. I want to fill the freshwater tank and use the hot water heater this weekend. I know I have to turn the levers on the water heater tank, hot and cold, so they are parallel with the pipe. It's really hard to move it in either direction, and I don't want to break it. Clockwise or counterclockwise? Anything else I have to do besides turn the pump on?
Thanks,

Elizabeth
P.S. I did consult the owner's manuals; did not see the answer.
Elizabeth28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
There is a third valve that is between the hot and cold water lines...that is the bypass valve. Make sure it is 'closed' (perpendicular to pipe). If you don't, cold water will mix with the hot coming out of the heater. Then the other two 'open' as you stated. Generally, counterclockwise to open them, but nothing is certain.

When winterizing, hot and cold valves are closed, bypass valve opened.

Make sure tank has water in it before lighting it!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #3
Advocate28

2020 16' Basecamp
Sheboygan , Wisconsin
Thank you, I think this is what I was missing! So the third valve is with the water heater?
Elizabeth28 is offline   Reply With Quote