Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
New Water Pump or Accumulator

Have a 2007 20' Safari and the water pump sounds like a jackhammer. While I do little or no boondocking I do stay at State Parks many of which have only electrical hookups. So the question is which is the best way to go - add a accumulator tank to the existing pump which would probably be a bit cheaper or go with one the new ShurFlo "quiet" pumps? I've read all the threads on accumulators/pumps but don't remember seeing this question addressed.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
There have been a few threads about this recently. I looked at my pump last night and the factory used rigid pipe for the connections to the pump. ShurFlo reccomends flexible pipe for the immediate connections to the pump to help isolate the noise. I'm going to try that first, as I'd want that even if I upgrade the pump. And it's only $20 in parts!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
For my money, an accumulator is always a good investment regardless of which pump you may use. It reduces noise and smooths the flow of water. You can get a glass of water in the middle of the night without cycling the pump and waking everyone up. I think it is remiss of Thor to leave them out in the first place.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU
I've read all the threads on accumulators/pumps but don't remember seeing this question addressed.
This thread seems to sum it up pretty well.

Early in the thread, I mentioned wrapping foam insulation around the under-sink water lines -- all the PEX plumbing lines vibrated terribly against everything and each other when the pump ran!

Later in the thread is a discussion + pictures of an accumulator tank install.

My experience is that merely insulating the water lines makes a huge difference. Combining that with the addition of an accumulator tank is about as much as I need. The only improvement I may yet do is replace the over-torqued anti-vibration bushings on the factory pump mount to provide a little more isolation from the soundboard-that-is-the-floor.

If/when the factory pump fails I'll look into a variable speed pump, but I'm plenty happy as is. More importantly, so is my wife

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Add a few coils of nylon reinforced PVC tubing to the discharge side of the pump. EZ and inexpensive solution that will cure 90% of the noise and dampen any pulsation.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote