Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here's some thoughts from the RV Net forum that are dealing with the same problem you are.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Atwood water heater lights then goes out

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yeah guys, thanks!

I took those steps as described. May have other blockage since the repair.

The "thermocouple" is designed to detect the ionization present when a flame is present. It is the same contacts/probes which deliver the spark.

I will Recertify clear airflow as y'all recommend!!!

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
OK so I went out to the Argosy this morning, and here is what I have done. I blew out the the big vent tube that heats the water with 125 lbs of compressed air, nothing came out. I checked the voltage at the board plug and got 12.85. I cleaned the connections to the board with an eraser, then electronic parts cleaner and blew off with air. I removed the gas orifice and hit it with cleaner and compressed air. I checked the gas pressure at the orifice where the gas comes out into the air tube and got 11"wc when the solenoid would open, and then the pressure would drop to zero when it closed. So it must have an internal bleeder in the valve for the pressure do go back to zero when the solenoid closes. I cleaned the part of the igniter that is in the flame with a red scotch pad. It now lights on the 2nd try, and once it will hold a flame I can turn it off and back on and it will light and stay lit on the first try every time. It seems once the ignition assembly gets warm it will light and keep going on the first try every time. So do I need to get a new igniter?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My GUESS, based on prior experience, is a failing board. Had one behave this way this summer. It was a Dinosaur and they replaced it free (3 year warranty), but I was on the move so I had them send it to the house. I bought an Atwood on the road for the rest of the trip. I now have a spare, and since I am on my 3rd board in 3 years, I'll probably need it. Or I have just been unlucky. You may consider getting one, comparing the old to the new and keep the old one, since it still sorta works, as a backup.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Atwood Water Heater G6A-8E

I am having same problem with my 2006 Bambi's Atwood G6A-8E water heater that seems to be the discussion of the day.. I have cleaned every contact w/eraser, contact cleaner. replaced eco/t-stat, thermal coupler, and she worked for a while, prior to last camping trip. Got there and she decided to be stubborn and go on another strike. I have cleaned orifice, tubes, ignitor (making sure tube from orifice to ignitor straight) exhaust tube. I have gas to stove/refrigerator, etc.
1. Does continuity through the resistor in the thermal coupler indicate all is normal with the coupler? (could there be anything else wrong with it?).
2. I hope not, but could it be another replacement of the eco/t-stat would rectify? Oh, I do get the occasional burst of flame on the third attempt, but no lighting--I can hear the attempts to light.
3. Dumb question, I know...Between which wires checks the voltage supplied to unit, and what should the reading be (12v?). And, if low/high what would be the fix?

I have tried calling Atwood and the waiting time, I think, is over a week??? I have---I think---done everything suggested in manual. Any other thoughts, besides replacing entire unit? I have asked assistance on this same subject and it is very much appreciated....But, I am missing something. Thanks guys/gals. Tom
Old 08-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
From what I have found on the internet, and my symptoms that it works OK once it finally stay lit, I am going to replace the spark and sense electrode. I think mine is week and needs 2 or 3 tries to heat up enough to let the board know there is a flame. In the comments on Amazon, people who had the same symptoms replaced this and it fixed the problem. I will report back once I get the new part and install it.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Probably more than you want to know.
http://wbcci.org/general-information...help-june-2013

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It could be the ignitor, but I will tell you that as my board was giving up the last of the ghost, the spark got weaker and intermittent.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Well I got my new "igniter sensor" and installed it today. It lit up first try and every try after that. So..... for now I think I fixed the problem. The sensor part of my old one must have been weak. Time will tell, but it was much cheaper then the board. If this doesn't fix it in the long run I will report back. Brian
Old 09-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #24

Currently Looking...
Hartsville , South Carolina
Angry Atwood GE 9 Ext Water

Own a 2012 Airstream Classic Limited with above water heater. Atwood as added a new wrinkle by eliminating the cold water bypass valve. It has a new sensing valve that has one shut off valve.

It has a screen at water heater output before entering this valve. One has now clogged twice in 13 months. Anyone else had problems with this model?