Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
New water heater placement

Getting ready to install a new water heater. The only place I can put it is under my large picture window. My fear is that the exhased gases will seep thru the small crank up window that is under the large picture window. The crankup wind does have a new rubber seal, but still not sure if it would keep the gas smell from coming inside the trailer. The other issue is that when it's cold outside, the heat will fog the window up.
I really don't have any other place to put it. I thought about buying a electric spark model that would only turn on when needed to heat the tank, rather then have one that has the pilot light burning all the time.
Anyone have a great idea's?
Dan Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Clayton View Post
Getting ready to install a new water heater. The only place I can put it is under my large picture window. My fear is that the exhased gases will seep thru the small crank up window that is under the large picture window. The crankup wind does have a new rubber seal, but still not sure if it would keep the gas smell from coming inside the trailer. The other issue is that when it's cold outside, the heat will fog the window up.
I really don't have any other place to put it. I thought about buying a electric spark model that would only turn on when needed to heat the tank, rather then have one that has the pilot light burning all the time.
Anyone have a great idea's?
YUP!

More expensive, but will surely solve your problem........GO TANKLESS!

Check out the RV-500 at Welcome to PrecisionTemp.com

It might just be what the Dr. ordered!! (the RV Doc.....of course!)
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
2 questions come to mind with tankless in my Airstream 1 what happens if I dont have electric hook up ( tire blow out side of road I get dirty and need a shower in rest stop) ect 2 Hot day A/C running how much more does this unit draw. Most campgrounds are working hard to give everyone 30 amps. I most deffinatly am going to switch my house to this but not sure about camper. In your situation it might be all you have. I am intrested in how this goes for you. Good luck
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I think it draws off of 12v doesn't it?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
2 questions come to mind with tankless in my Airstream 1 what happens if I dont have electric hook up ( tire blow out side of road I get dirty and need a shower in rest stop) ect 2 Hot day A/C running how much more does this unit draw. Most campgrounds are working hard to give everyone 30 amps. I most deffinatly am going to switch my house to this but not sure about camper. In your situation it might be all you have. I am intrested in how this goes for you. Good luck
Mustang,

The RV-500 is an LP fired tankless water heater system. It only needs 12VDC from your on-board battery for control voltage. There is NO 120VAC involved with this water heater.

Let me know if you have any other questions about these (if you haven't already guessed, I am a factory authorized sales/install center for them)
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Tankless or not, Im still concerened that when it is running that the gases may seep into the trailer. Is there a min amount of space that I have to have around the water heater. I thought I read it was at least 12 inches.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Why can't you put it in the spot the original water heater was located?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
The orginal water tank was electric, it had no outside access. I have replaced all the sheet metal on this trailer (see pictures under Dan Clayton) it's the 1956 model, so I have very limited area were I can put it. About the only other space is next to the front door, but that will leave a couple of water lines being exposed, or at least I would have to cover them with wood trim since they would not be behind any cabinet work. Plus the fresh water tank would be all the at the front, that's quite a run.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
YUP!

More expensive, but will surely solve your problem........GO TANKLESS!

Check out the RV-500 at Welcome to PrecisionTemp.com

It might just be what the Dr. ordered!! (the RV Doc.....of course!)
Hey Lewster do the RV-500 pop in where the old hot water heater's go or do they need installation modification done to install them. I am thinking about buying one for my trailer old one rusted out from sitting 15 years.

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
For got the ask this to do the on demand HW heaters use more propane than the tank HW heaters?

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote