Old 02-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #1

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
New Water Heater Not Working Properly

Hello- Just purchased a 2010 FB Flying Cloud. Trying to get everything up and running. The water heater fires up runs for less than 5 minutes and no hot water. All by bass valves are closed properly. Getting water at sink, shower and bathroom sink,
It seems the water heater does run long enough to heat the water. Is this something about the unit being new? I can't seem to figure it out.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
I have what seems to be the same issue in a new 2009 Bambi Flying Cloud. Dealer winterized and I just un-winterized with no issue. After flushing the system I turned off the bypass, filled up the tank, turned on the pump. Drained water from all faucets etc. and even the pressure release valve on the oustide of the trailer in the hot water heater access. Then i turned on the hot water heater. It seemed to fire up, but more than an hour later the water was luke warm if that. Seems like the hot water heater fired up initially but did not stay lit. I tried turning the hot water switch off for a minute than on (the manual recommended this but not much more). No luck. So I'm out in the cold with Bobby. Any thoughts?

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you sure the water heater is full of water? Can you open the hot water valve at the sink or shower and get full flow of water? If all of this is OK, then check the temperature control on the water heater to make sure it is not set at its coldest setting. If not, adjust the knob to a higher setting and see what happens. I've included a pic of my WH, the temp control is the large blue knob on the lower part of the heater. Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Water Heater.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	926.4 KB
ID:	100334  
Old 04-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Twinkie....thanks. No setting on my Bambi water heater. She's on er' she's not and this one is not. Yep, full of water. Bled air out of lines. Used the pressure release valve to make sure air was out and water in. Double checked that the bypass valve was off and the the shut-offs in/out to the tank on. Trying again now. Perhaps becuase it is new it just needs to get turned on a few more times. Not sure.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
Old 04-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Turn on the hot water heater and go outside and see if the flame is blue. If it is look at the flame rod this sticks into the pilot light. Mine would not stay lit. Iremoved it and took some emery paper and cleaned it up have not had any problems since doing this. Hope this helps.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You probably have the bypass bypass turned on instead of off. If you look at the back of the water heater, where the bypass valves are, you should see three valves. The ones on the cold water intake and hot water outlet should be turned so the handles are parallel to the lines, and the one in the middle should be turned across the line.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You probably have the bypass bypass turned on instead of off. If you look at the back of the water heater, where the bypass valves are, you should see three valves. The ones on the cold water intake and hot water outlet should be turned so the handles are parallel to the lines, and the one in the middle should be turned across the line.
:: blink :: Now there's the best description of how to check the bypass valves that I've seen yet!

I had a new water heater installed on the way home last December, and never used it, it went right into winter mode. I was wondering how I would know when it was back "on line".

I don't have to wonder any more.

Thanks Terry!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
OK....problem solved, but how can we expunge the above posts? This clearly is a dramatic case of newbi-itis (for me at least, not sure about Bobby). The bypass valves couldn't have been better aligned by a heart surgeon. Bypass was good, LP was on, ignition switch set, water in heater, air purged...Apollo ready for lift off....... in short everything done to the "T"s, but duhhh, it helped when i set the faucets for running hot water instead of cold (yeah, could i make this up!). Everyone following this post will now have to sign a confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement. Thanks for your kind efforts to help. I'm going to call my RV therapist and get a special emergency session to deal with the embarassment. Even my dog Elvis is negotiating to get hazzard pay for being my avatar on these posts!

www.RV4TheCause.org

Old 04-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We all enjoy happy endings. No need to erase the thread.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote