Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Benton Harbor , Michigan
New water heater in '88 Excella

I am just about done installing a new Atwood 6 gal elect / gas water heater in my 1988 Excella. Since the original heater was gas only, I am using the orignial "on" switch in the bathroom as the 12VDC power switch to the new dual switch that I mounted near the end of the twin bed wall. I also wired up the old light to turn on when I power up the old switch. This will be my "temporary" solution until I do a "full Monte" some day in the future and move the dual switch to the bathroom. I don't think this setup will cause any problems but I thought I would ask the experts out there.

For the 110V electrical connections to the water heater, I installed a small breaker box next to the junction box ... this allowed me to tie into 110V without ripping into the wall panels. Again, in the future I will move this breaker into the main breaker box and run the wiring in the walls.

I was able to clean up the original perforated guard and mount it to the exhaust side of the heater and reuse the original door rather than the painted door that came with the new unit.

Now I need to wait for April before I can hook up the water and see if everything works ok... come on SPRING !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Replacement 70-2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	55027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Replacement 58-2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	55028  

Name:	Water Heater Replacement 73-2.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	55029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Replacement 72-2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	55030  

Sunset Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
SC,

Did you get the GCH6A-10E? I am looking at doing the same swap (gas only to gas-electric) and was wondering how much grief it'd be vs. a direct swap to a G6A-8E.

I have a G6A-4E now that won't stay lit...

Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

thanks,
Old 04-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Me Too
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Benton Harbor , Michigan
Gc6aa-10e

I ordered the GC6AA-10E and it fit right in, no big problems. I bought mine from Palomino RV in Colon, MI. The GCH6A-10E is the Engine Heat Exchange model (that's what the "H" stands for). Wasn't sure if that is the model you need. The biggest time was spent on prep time in cleaning up all the old sealant around the opening and getting the fuse box installed. I did have to notch into the back side of the storage area under the bed, next to the heater, since the new heater came with a longer inlet port for the cold water side. Evidently all the new heaters now have this longer inlet. The 110V connection worked out great, again no problems. I am about a week away from pulling the A/S out of the garage and hooking up the water to try it all out.... it hasn't leaked yet ! Jim and Alansd, let me know if there is any other information or pictures I can pass on.
Doug
Old 04-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Don't know if the install manual contains this tip, but you don't need to use sealant around the outer edge of the flange. The only thing you need to do is run a continuous layer of butyl tape on the inside edge of the mounting flange, then just screw it into place.

It performs all of the sealing that you need and still lets you easily remove the unit for servicing if necessary.
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Hey Doug,

I ordered the GCH6A-10E from Palomino yesterday (thanks to Lewster's tips on them from awhile back....got me a new SeaLand ceramic toilet from them at half price last year as well...) so I hope I'm on the right track. Jevin's price he quoted me was just over half what everybody else wanted...although he called me and said to call him...so I'm hoping all is well with the order. They were closed when I called back so I'll have to call him Monday.

But I want to do the exact swap you're doing. I'm putting it into my '87 Avion actually (don't throw rocks...she's a SILVER SISTER ), and I like the idea of having hot water all the time when I'm at a full hook up place. Although, I'd be happy just to have a gas one that worked

I may very well be asking you for help. I see that my breaker panel is full, so I'm going to have to come off the bus and mount a sub panel somewhere and run that to the water heater. My dad's a licensed electrician though so I figure we can work it out.

But thanks for the wisdom. I may definitely be calling you for help

On a side note, how come this thread didn't appear in my php thingy? i've been noticing that of late on this forum that I'm not getting notified of updates to threads I'm in on. I just happened across this in the portal....please help !!!!

thanks,
Old 04-20-2008, 06:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Hey Doug,

I ordered the GCH6A-10E from Palomino yesterday (thanks to Lewster's tips on them from awhile back....got me a new SeaLand ceramic toilet from them at half price last year as well...) so I hope I'm on the right track. Jevin's price he quoted me was just over half what everybody else wanted...although he called me and said to call him...so I'm hoping all is well with the order. They were closed when I called back so I'll have to call him Monday.

But I want to do the exact swap you're doing. I'm putting it into my '87 Avion actually (don't throw rocks...she's a SILVER SISTER ), and I like the idea of having hot water all the time when I'm at a full hook up place. Although, I'd be happy just to have a gas one that worked

I may very well be asking you for help. I see that my breaker panel is full, so I'm going to have to come off the bus and mount a sub panel somewhere and run that to the water heater. My dad's a licensed electrician though so I figure we can work it out.

But thanks for the wisdom. I may definitely be calling you for help

On a side note, how come this thread didn't appear in my php thingy? i've been noticing that of late on this forum that I'm not getting notified of updates to threads I'm in on. I just happened across this in the portal....please help !!!!

thanks,
Jim,

If you're after 'endless hot water', then you should look at the Precision Temp RV-500: Welcome to PrecisionTemp.com You'll never run out with this puppy!!
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
Mad1

1989 29' Excella
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
SC,

Did you get the GCH6A-10E? I am looking at doing the same swap (gas only to gas-electric) and was wondering how much grief it'd be vs. a direct swap to a G6A-8E.

I have a G6A-4E now that won't stay lit...

Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

thanks,

Clean the burner tube
madrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Benton Harbor , Michigan
More info

Lew, you're right about using the Butyl tape... that's what I did. Either the factory or the PO had also put huge amounts of Vulkem (?) on the inside of the outer skin wall against the heater. This is what took me so long to prep it.

Jim, no problem about the Avion. Where I live (Benton Harbor, MI) is the former home of the Avion factory. I have met some of the people that used to work there and we swapped stories about our trailers. One guy (son of one of the original owners) talked about how they used "exploding rivets" ... used heat to set off the small charge on the tip of the rivet. I've never seen these. Good luck on your project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water Heater Replacement 55-2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	58696  
Old 04-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Well, here's what my old one does:

It will light off, then burn OK for a couple minutes, then go out. I have to wait awhile, relight, and it does the same thing.

If I crack the door open about an inch at the top, it'll stay burning. Almost like it builds up too much heat with the door shut and it craps out.

I have already cleaned and adjusted the burner tube and I've got the perfect looking flame. I think there's something wrong with the control unit. A new one is like $110 or so. I can get a whole new heater for about double that, so I'm thinking new instead of pouring big money into the 21 year old one.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted.

I don't know much about the exploding rivets other than I hope they don't explode when I'm around

I'm still not getting notified that this thead got updated....

gonna have to email a mod....
Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The gas line runs thru a hole in the base of the heater to connect under the trailer. It has a shut off valve there.
Whats the best way to get the line off...if I take it off underneath there'll be a large piece hanging, which may be ok, if I take it off in the heater the line does not look like it would go back thru the hole.
Maybe it will make more sense when i actually try to pull the heater out.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Benton Harbor , Michigan
Pictures?

AlanSD, I was able to disconnect at the heater and just slipped the gas line out the hole as I pulled out the heater. If you can post some pictures, that might help show us what you're up against.
Doug
Old 04-23-2008, 05:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks, I might be anticipating the problem. I hope to get to pull the old one this weekend. Hopefully the leak we had last trip will be more obvious when I see the tank.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
AlanSD, the water heater should be accessible from inside as well. The access may be in a closet, or under a bed. You may have to remove a panel or so to gain access.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
It is in the back of a small cabinet in the bathroom, not too easy to get into.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
Can you pull a wire into the bathroom?

I'm going to be doing the same install as sunset coast, but with a 6 gal. water heater. Doug, your pictures are a big help. I think the location of the switches is a good alternative, but I was wondering about fishing wire through the wall to the original switch location. If a guy could use one wire as a pull wire and pull two into the bathroom you would have the four wires you need. I have no idea if this is possible, I'm going to do a little exploring to see if I can figure it out. Ordered mine from Palomino but it was shipped with out a installation manual, so I'll need to try and find one online. My old one was also a bear to remove, must have been a full tube of vulkem on the inside of the outer skin.
musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by musketeer
I'm going to be doing the same install as sunset coast, but with a 6 gal. water heater. Doug, your pictures are a big help. I think the location of the switches is a good alternative, but I was wondering about fishing wire through the wall to the original switch location. If a guy could use one wire as a pull wire and pull two into the bathroom you would have the four wires you need. I have no idea if this is possible, I'm going to do a little exploring to see if I can figure it out. Ordered mine from Palomino but it was shipped with out a installation manual, so I'll need to try and find one online. My old one was also a bear to remove, must have been a full tube of vulkem on the inside of the outer skin.
If you PM me your e-mail adress, I can send you a PDF of the manuals.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Actually, I think I figured out how to attach it here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AtwoodInstall.pdf (370.2 KB, 94 views)
Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
Thanks for the installation manual!

What perfect timing! Now I can spend my Saturday planning the electrical work needed to make my new water heater work! Thanks a million!

Rick
musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by musketeer
Now I can spend my Saturday planning the electrical work needed to make my new water heater work!
I hope that's a good thing

I'm waiting for delivery of mine as well. It should be here next week.

It would be great if you could share with us details of your install. Particularly the wiring. I'm going to need al the help I can get!