Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Greenwood , South Carolina
New W/H - Old Door

I have install a new 10g water heater in my A/S to replace the old 10g model. The problem is the door. The new one was only available with a white door. I had planned to use the old door but it attaches differently.
Any suggestions ?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaster View Post
I have install a new 10g water heater in my A/S to replace the old 10g model. The problem is the door. The new one was only available with a white door. I had planned to use the old door but it attaches differently.
Any suggestions ?
Modify the water heater so the old door will fit. It's not tough, though it does require a bit of engineering.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Overlander said it exactly...
Old 06-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Modify the water heater so the old door will fit. It's not tough, though it does require a bit of engineering.
Terry, you have said this before, so I got my old door out and looked at it to see how involved it would be.

First thing I noticed? The new Atwood has one clip holding the door closed. The old door? You guessed it, two clips. So cut two holes, patch up one. Check.

Plus the hinges are in a different spot.

That's when I just took off the new door and gave it 4 or 5 coats of rattle-can auto paint silver, with 2 coats of clear over that.

If you would be so kind, perhaps you can point to where you might have laid out the instructions on how to adapt the old door, or failing that, could you write up a post on it?

After looking at my new (painted) door, looks pretty good. I know the older SS door would be an improvement, but I don't see the conversion job as trivial.

Maybe I'm missing something? Wouldn't be the first time...
Old 06-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
i currently have the same issue. I want to use the old ss door but the new Atwood is configured completely different including the way the old had an attachment flange around the unit that butted up against the side the alum skin. The new one is a flush mount that I haven't quite figured out how it is supposed to be a direct replacement, although I have yet to pull the old out to see.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
On my 1967 ( which is no doubt different) I was able to use my original cover. The cover screwed right back on. What was different was the inside panel, it took a bit of rework to fit to the new Suburban water heater I installed. From the outside it looks original.