Old 11-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
New Shurflo pump quit working?

Last spring I changed out the old water pump with a new, but before I changed it out I filled the water tank up and tried to get the old to work.

I filled up my water tank and discovered the old pump would not work. I bought a new shurflo and everything worked fine after I installed it. I installed it when there was water in the tank. I used the new pump and it worked great. I drained all the water out of my tank when I was finished camping by pumping it out using the shurflo water pump. I never used it again because when we camped we had water hook up and I did not need it. I just went in the camper the other week and discovered my shurflo would not run. I changed the fuse wire that leads to the pump and my indicator light turns on but nothing works.

My question is? Is there a sensor that tells the shurflo there is not water in the tank so it won't turn on.

Lothlorian

Brian

Old 11-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
How much water was in the tank when you pumped it out? Did you shut it off as SOON as it was drained? You may have put about 10yrs on it by using it to drain your tank, of if it wasn't shut down ASAP, in either case it may be burned out.
On our maiden voyage, while boon-docking,the pump was our first failure.Turned out to be a broken wire just inside the insulation where the wires enter the pump.Spent the first day fix'n, po'd much?
you bet'cha

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Are you saying the motor does not come on at all or is the motor running and just not pumping water.

There is no electrical sensor in the tank.

If the pump is running and just has not picked up a prime try putting a Tee and hose in the suction line to the pump and introducing water to the pump there. Be prepared to stop this line off once a prime is picked up.

If the motor is not working make sure you have 12 volts across the 2 wires at the motor while the switch is on. If voltage is present and the motor is not working the motor is bad.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks for the information. I have voltage and it is a new motor. I hope the mortor is not bad.

Brian
Old 11-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
One additional test would be to remove the motor and remove the pump head and apply voltage to just the unloaded motor. If the motor works the pump head may be jammed.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:24 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

FWIW... in post 4 I used a 12v test light to check power. I had continuity right up to where the wires entered the pump.Removed pump, cut back the insulation and found the power wire burnt through. Also found a very poor connection at the spade connector which may have contributed to the failure.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 11-27-2008, 06:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I guess I am going to have to pull this pump and look at it. I have read in other marine and RV sites where people had problems with this pump. I hope I can fix it. It gets frustrating when you buy something new and it does not work after a couple times using it.

Brian
Old 11-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #8
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
There is also a pressure switch mounted on the pump. You should be able to follow the wires and find the switch.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I fixed the water pump: I went in and took the pump out and wired it to the battery and it worked. I then took wires and restripped them and put in a new fuse wire and wired the pump back up and it worked. The old fuse wire was rusted and looked bad. Another project accomplished.

Now I need to figure what type of water filter to put in such a tight spot my the furnace under the sink.

Lothlorian
Old 12-14-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Good news, glad it wasn't more serious.
Sounds familiar, after cutting back the insulation on our pump, I found the power wire separated. Happened on our first time out in the new rig, live and learn.

RLC

RLC