Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #41
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I know this thread is over a year old but I would ask how everyone is doing with either the Attwood or Precision Temp. RV550 (belly pan air duct and roof vent) as I'm nearing
installing one.
Another thing: Is there any reason NOT to add a 6 gal. hot water reservoir?? Assuming
it's a complete shell off and I can plan it in?? Thanks
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I sold the trailer that I'd installed the Precision Temp model in so no long term feedback from me but I will again be going this route in my current project which is my endorsement. (I also remembered that it has a cold weather protection function so it shouldn't suffer any freezing weather problems either).
truckasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #43

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gurney View Post
I know this thread is over a year old but I would ask how everyone is doing with either the Attwood or Precision Temp. RV550 (belly pan air duct and roof vent) as I'm nearing
installing one.
Another thing: Is there any reason NOT to add a 6 gal. hot water reservoir?? Assuming
it's a complete shell off and I can plan it in?? Thanks
What purpose would the hot-water reservoir serve? It seems like that's an expensive way to get back to the same thing as a conventional 6-gal water heater, you'd lose the on-demand/tankless aspect of the thing.

I have a tankless water heater in my home, I think it's great. I wouldn't add a reservoir to it.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I'm still using my 550 tankless. Took it on a two month run last year, into freezing temperatures. It was wonderful. Wife got to take nice long hot showers. No issues with the heater at all. Absolutely convinced it's the way to go.

My fault we ran out of propane once. Now we carry spares...

I also noticed that my pump does cycle too much with the tankless. The conventional Atwood 6 gallon holds an air bubble that smooths out flow. I'm adding a small surge tank to restore the bubble to the system.

With that minor fix, we both will be happy.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #45
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I prefer to shut off the propane when not needed because (despite checking every gas fitting) I notice there is a still an appreciable loss of propane over time. Since doing so I figure I must refill tanks 1/2 as much as I used to.
rmkrum's comment on the surge tank is much appreciated but I think if designed properly I could have 6 gallons of hot (ok warm) water first thing in the AM AND retain the "bubble" to prevent frequent pump cycling.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Corona , California
One of the things I was looking for on the tankless was 42 pounds less weight forward of the axles on the street side. The tankless responds fast enough that I have hot water in a few seconds...warmish water is not what wife desires....hot water in a tank is a step backwards IMHO.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
Old 12-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Since we last discussed it, I saw something in one of the tankless models that turned me off - in freezing weather, it has to fire up every so often to prevent itself from freezing. It makes sense; it just wasn't something I thought of before, and many people don't camp in freezing weather, so they probably wouldn't notice.

Since we do regularly camp in freezing weather, and we don't want to listen to it cycling on and off two or three times an hour while we're trying to sleep, we've decided a regular tank model is the best solution for us when it comes time to replace ours. We can heat the tank of water before we go to bed, then shut it off, and it still won't freeze by morning. Also, it'll be quiet and use zero propane until we fire it up in the morning before our showers. The anti-freeze cycling might even offset any savings in propane we would expect; of course since we turn ours off when we're not using it, we probably wouldn't save much propane with a tankless anyway.

I'm really glad I saw one in operation in freezing weather before we took the plunge - I would've been extremely disappointed. I still think they're interesting technology, but they're just not the best solution for our usage patterns.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #48
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I thought the regular water heater won't freeze because it is inside the trailer and gets enough heat from the trailer to keep it above freezing. But I suppose if it goes below 0˚ for an extended time it might be an issue. Since most of us turn the water heater on a few times each day and the tank has lots of insulation, it should be ok. And I haven't heard anyone who winter camps reporting frozen water heaters.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
What are people think of their hot water on demand heaters still?

I asked my RV parts guy and he said he sees more failures from them and generally it means replacing the unit. Traditional water heaters he said you can fix repair and replace parts.

How are they working out? Would you go tankless again??
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza View Post
What are people think of their hot water on demand heaters still?

I asked my RV parts guy and he said he sees more failures from them and generally it means replacing the unit. Traditional water heaters he said you can fix repair and replace parts.

How are they working out? Would you go tankless again??
YES! Tankless his the ONLY way!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Absolutely tankless. Solid performance and happy wife is sufficient reason.

PrecisionTemp 500 series unit.