Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
New Atwood Tankless

Water Heater.

Just got this notice. Atwood has introduced 2 new tankless, on-demand water heaters that are a direct replacement for just about any existing Atwood LP or LP/electric water heater.

Two new models; OD-45 that runs at 16-45,000 BTU and the larger OD-50 that runs from 16-50,000 BTU on LP gas.

Dimensions are 12.5" high X 12.5" wide X 16" deep with both weighing 30 lbs.

Retail pricing is $949 and 999 respectively.

From what I have seen in the press release, they look like quality built units and both operate with high BTU outputs to effectively heat your water.

I'll let you know more when I get a call to install one of these..........
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks Lew,

They look competitively priced. Do you know anything about options like wind and/or cold weather kits like those for PrecisionTemp?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I'm not sure they are required, as they are not used in the standard Atwood heaters. I'll find out about them next time I speak to Atwood tech support.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Have you found out anything new about the tankless Atwood??
tlynn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Doing a little googling, I ran into one dealer doing a "Pre-sale" - They are selling the smaller unit for $740 including shipping ($780 for the big one)

Also, it just occurred to me that using a tankless water heater would eliminate the need for any of the winter by-pass kit hoo-ha. On the other hand, all that circuit board electronics does leave you high and dry if it gets fried... been there, done that.

https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

I tank I'll let someone else test 'em...keep us posted Lew.

Bob
Old 02-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I like this a lot

If they weigh in a 30lbs, but you don't actually have 6 gallons of water to haul around in the tank, is this actually a weight reduction too? And I also have concerns with all the circuitry having had an Atwood board (and other electronic components) go bad before. I like this option better than earlier products. It looks plug and play.
-Ken
Old 02-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I was kind of wondering the same thing. Checked the specs on a Suburban 6 Gallon LP/DSI (i.e., regular water heater), and it came in at 33 lbs. (The six gallons of water adds about 50 lbs.) My suspicion is that the tankless will save a good deal of weight.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
If they weigh in a 30lbs, but you don't actually have 6 gallons of water to haul around in the tank, is this actually a weight reduction too? And I also have concerns with all the circuitry having had an Atwood board (and other electronic components) go bad before. I like this option better than earlier products. It looks plug and play.
-Ken
Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
San Francisco , California
I've got the Atwood tankless on order since I needed a replacement anyway... supposed to ship Feb 29th. Will let y'all know how it looks.
whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Question Another question...

When boon-docking/dry camping, does the tank-less water heater use more battery then the traditional water heater? I'd like to see that part of the spec sheet. I'm sure it uses less propane then a system turning itself on/off all day but does it also use less or more electrons?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
When boon-docking/dry camping, does the tank-less water heater use more battery then the traditional water heater? I'd like to see that part of the spec sheet. I'm sure it uses less propane then a system turning itself on/off all day but does it also use less or more electrons?
If it is running on gas, then no... as it requires the same water pump to run that would draw water from a hot water tank. If it has an electric mode, then yes... as the current needed to heat water 'instantly' is a lot more than an electric probe taking an hour to heat 6 gallons of water. However, if you look at the total electrical consumption, the on-demnd would use less, as it only heats when needed. The difference is the peak load.

I only am familiar with home on-demand systems, and many of those still use a pilot light for NG systems... so they are not as efficient as electronic ignition models. If the Atwood is an electronic ignition then there isn't that issue.

It's hard to say what will use less propane... if the on-demand system is not efficiently packaged, you could end up using more... though I suspect the whole point was to come up with a more efficient system. Really, the end result is exactly the same - x number of gallons heated requires the same input. It is the waste and efficiency that matters.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Having used tankless type water heaters in our home (and boat) for many years, the fuel savings can be significant over time...

Our current model has an electronic ignition - previous models used a small pilot light that was lit all the time...

Our only real problems with our older model was with the temperature/thermostat - had to replace it several times...

With regard to tankless use in your AS - you'll still have to winterize the unit by draining the water - Tankless water heaters are essentially a 'radiator' (actually a heat exchanger) that have a gas burner below to provide the 'heat' as it travels upward through the fins or tubing of the 'radiator/HE' to heat the water when water flow is detected...The 'radiator/HE' is full of water any time your water system is pressurized by the water pump, and would freeze to damage the unit if exposed to harsh winter conditions...

With regard to freezing weather...I wonder if these RV units have a thermistor to fire them off for a short period if the temp drops below freezing during normal use, if the 'radiator/HE' is exposed to the outside air via the vent system???
Old 02-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I believe that Atwood now owns Precession Temp. I might be wrong about that. I do know they now own Fantastic Vent. I have been installing a few PT units lately and I too am sold on them. Fred, from PT told me of a new unit coming out that will vent through the floor. Is there any connection to these new Atwood units?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I believe that Atwood now owns Precession Temp. I might be wrong about that. I do know they now own Fantastic Vent. I have been installing a few PT units lately and I too am sold on them. Fred, from PT told me of a new unit coming out that will vent through the floor. Is there any connection to these new Atwood units?
Vent through the floor, so it requires some sort of fan in operation? Or is it pulling combustion air up from a port in the floor with an exhaust up higher?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think they all require a fan to drive the turbine heater. Would love Lewster's response however. He has far more expertise in this stuff than me.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I think they all require a fan to drive the turbine heater. Would love Lewster's response however. He has far more expertise in this stuff than me.
Ah, so they differ from home models... or perhaps they compare to home models that vent horizontally. If I recall correctly, the horizontal-venting version of the Noritz residential unit required forced ventilation, but the vertical-flue version I had installed has no fan.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am sorry if this thread is slightly highjacked...

I can only give reference to the PT unit. It currently vents horizontally through a door similar to Atwoods. It comes in painted or unpainted aluminum so the vintage crowd can polish it up. They are coming out with a new version that will vent down so no side hatch is needed. They do make a combo unit that heats both the space and water. That one does vent down through the floor. A new water only unit is coming out and it will vent down through the floor also.
I brought up PT because I thought they were bought by Atwood(not trying to start rumors if it is false). I thought perhaps they were working together on this.
I too am looking to learn from this thread. Always hoping to see the newest greatest mouse trap....
Old 02-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have no experience with tankless water heaters but I am interested in the technology and the practical application it brings. I wonder about the noise that a burner of that size will make during the heating cycle ???? I picture it being like a jet turbine winding up to produce that much heat quickly. Lookin forward to hearing from those that try it out. I do hope it proves to be a nice upgrade .

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
As far as I know.............

............Atwood has NOT bought Precision Temp. Actually, Aqua-Hot almost bought them a couple of years ago, but decided to develop their own LP fired hydronic heating unit in house.

The noise from a tankless water heater is roughly the same as that from a regular LP unit. The tankless units that I have seen have a large LP burner located at the bottom of the heat exchanger (usually copper), with copper water piping soldered to the heat exchanger. The water heats as it flows thru the copper tubing and exits the unit at the pre-determined temperature.

This final water temperature changes with the temperature of the supply water; colder inlet water gives lower hot water temps as these (and most) tankless units have a set amount of degree rise that they can impart to the incoming cold water. This temperature rise is also a direct function of the flow rate of the water passing thru the heat exchanger (think GPM).

The Girard tankless unit relied on the flow rate to control the exit temps of the hot water, a feature that I found much to the dislike of many of my clients.

Still haven't seen the new Atwood unit, but might be ordering one next week. I'll keep this thread posted if I do.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I gather from other comments that the tankless variety consumes less gas than a conventional water heater over a given period of time; however is the differential sufficient enough to recapture the cost differential over the life of the product?
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote