Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Need water filter advice.

Greetings.

I am shopping for a new water filter. For the past several years I've been using a TastePURE KDF/Carbon Water Filter, the blue thing that cost about $18 from CW.

The problem is, about mid season, the flow of water get less due to build-up, and to fill a 23 gallon FWT takes about 1/2 hour. That's cutting into some serious belgium beer session time! I replace that filter each season.

I am now looking for something that has a replaceable cartridge of some sort. I was looking at the TastePURE CX90 Ceramic Water FIlter

Since we don't drink the tap water, only bottled, my one and only concern is to filter crap that could run through the water system mucking things up.

Does anyone have the TastePURE CX90, or some solution you might suggest.

Again, I'd like something with a replaceable and/or cleanable cartridge.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Old 03-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Jonathon,
Are you using a pre-filter of any kind? Mid season seems a bit often to have to change a filter unless it's undersize.
A pre-filter might help buy you some extra time.
Dave

Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd have to agree with Dave, unless you are just really using it a lot. I have a similar filter and mine lasts the while season. Now, I'll admit, when I use it to filter the water going into the tank, I fill it very slowly, so a 1/2 hour is fairly common.

I have also used this inline and although there is some pressure degradation, it's not very noticable unless I have several faucets open, compared to no filter.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , British Columbia
Go to Home Depot/ Lowes and buy the GE home water filter cases(there are other brands,just the ones I have) you can buy various types of cartridges for them(charcol,paper,etc.). You can hook as many together as you want,I use 2. Then you have to adapt it from plumbing to garden hose fittings. Works well.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
...Does anyone have the TastePURE CX90, or some solution you might suggest...
hi crazy...

yep i use that model, and also drink water from fresh tank.

it works MUCH much much better than the "blue thing"...

the ceramic element darkens (color varies with minerals) and flow slows slightly over time, depending on the water source.

because the cartridge can be removed and cleaned, full flow is quickly restored, when the ceramic is 'white' again.

i've got about 14 months on the current cartridge without issues, LOTS of use and 1000s of gallons filtered.

with each 'cleaning' the ceramic layer thins but i've cleaned it 20-25 times and it is still as effective as new.

filling the largest fresh water tank a/s offers takes 20 minutes tops.

here are 2 other posts/threads on this issue.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/431665-post12.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...tem-35270.html

i'm very satisfied with the cx90!

there are 2 thin black O rings inside the unit and they are easy to lose, which causes the case to leak.

i picked up some extra O rings at the hardware store...

the replacement inner element comes with 2 new O rings and a new scotch brite pad.

the standard green 3m scotch brites are used to clean the element and are very effective.

combined with the integrated moen carbon element, water tastes/smells clean and fresh regardless of source.

except for that really nasty, rusty nitrate ladened awful water at moraine view, which i do NOT ever connect to the trailer.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Dave, I'm not quite sure what a "pre-filter" is. 2Air, I'm thinking the cx90 is where I'll go. Is the water flow any better than the blue thingie? I realize as the thing gets closer and closer to cleaning, it might slow a bit.

Our first outing this year will be around Easter in just a few weeks. I will be de- winterizing and hope that this past winter burns in hell...

Twink- did you get my PM a few weeks ago?

Thanks for your posts.

Jonathan
Old 03-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
A pre-filter (May not be the "official" name) is a particulate filter that catches all the "big stuff" before it can plug your drinking water filter which has a finer filtering medium. Place it in-line prior to the drinking water filter.
Some filter systems incorporate both in one unit. 2Air's unit may do so, I didn't check it.
Dave
Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
... I'm not quite sure what a "pre-filter" is. 2Air, I'm thinking the cx90 is where I'll go. Is the water flow any better than the blue thingie...
there are photos of 2-3 stage (with sediment pre filters) setups in second link above...

flow rate for almost ALL of these filters is 1-3 gpm, depending somewhat on water pressure, and hose diameters

the cx90 is about the same speed as a NEW blue thingie, but without the rapid decline in flow.

again it takes about 20 minutes for the 50-60 gallon fresh tank fill.

here is another thread with pix and multistage filter setups...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...ues-38456.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote