Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Jackson County , Missouri
Need 12v water pump diaphragm

Two weeks before I bug-out on my first trip with my Airstream. It's a 78' 31 foot Sovereign. I'm getting the last details in order.

The diaphragm split on my 12v water pump. The unit is a Par Model 36800-1000.

Is there a source for these diaphragms? It's a rubber piece about 3x5 inches.

I'm a Holley carb gear-head. This thing just looks like an oversize accelerator pump diaphragm. <grinning>

Are there folks who may suggest ditching the whole old-style pump unit and buying a new replacement 12v motor with attached intergral pump?

My old unit really only needs just this little rubber diaphragm.

thanks,
page crow

Much obliged folks.
page.crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Try this place--- esskayyards.com-- skroll down to Jabsco/Par , they have all the parts , or check with your local marine suppliers.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Google it and you will find a number of listings. The prices are not cheap. For $75 you can put in a new Flowtec in an hour that works better than the Par and is smaller and quieter.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Aha! That was what I was wondering...if a complete new unit would be a better choice. (Thank you Mr Dwightdi.)

The Flowtec unit: I was in a Lowe's hardware yesterday looking at water pumps. I don't recall the model name but I think it WAS Flowtec. They had a 12v unit available for order. Is there a source for these Flowtec units that is recommended? Just go up on Ebay looking?

I like "smaller & quieter".

Best regards you all. Thanks for the advice.

<humbly bowing>

page crow
Old 05-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by page.crow View Post
Two weeks before I bug-out on my first trip with my Airstream. It's a 78' 31 foot Sovereign. I'm getting the last details in order.

The diaphragm split on my 12v water pump. The unit is a Par Model 36800-1000.

Is there a source for these diaphragms? It's a rubber piece about 3x5 inches.

I'm a Holley carb gear-head. This thing just looks like an oversize accelerator pump diaphragm. <grinning>

Are there folks who may suggest ditching the whole old-style pump unit and buying a new replacement 12v motor with attached intergral pump?

My old unit really only needs just this little rubber diaphragm.

thanks,
page crow

Much obliged folks.
Parts are available, but in kit form only.

I wonder if the inexpensive Flowtec will last 31 years as the "old Par" did. That's a pretty good life span, and difficult to shoot down.

As always, you get what you pay for.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I agree with Andy. My Shur-Flow Whisper King was installed three and a half years ago and is already leaking. Manufacturing companies make stuff to break nowadays, that way you keep buying new products to replace the broken ones and keep the economy going, IMO.

If you can deal with the louder noise from the Par, get a repair kit and keep it for another 30 years.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
water pumps

The measuring stick for water pump replacements, is "what is the cost, per year?"

A $100.00 pump will last 3 to 5 years. That's a cost of $20.00 per year at best.

If you install a rebuild kit in an old Par pump, ball park, the cost is $100.00.

But then, it will only last about 30 years.

The cost per year for a rebuild kit, is about $3.00 per year.

Wow, what a deal.

Andy
Old 05-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Thanks to both your guys for your excellent leads. On one hand, I hate to give up a functional (albiet antique) Par water pump if all I need is the diaphragm. That will be easy to replace.

The other side says get the new pump. WARNING: Make sure if you buy a new 12v pump, get one that can RUN DRY WITHOUT DAMAGE. I looked at many different brands of new 12v pumps online on Ebay. Some cheap. Some expensive ($75) The more expensive ones can run dry without damage.

My learning curve on these 12v water pumps has gone way up in the last several days!

I'm going to repair the antique Par pump diaphragm pump AND I'm going to buy the replacement new pump. Why? Because I want a backup pump with me NOW when I need it for replacement out on the road.

I'm a sailor. That may explain my need for redundancy.

<grinning>

page crow
Old 05-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Here's the scoop guys:

The kit of replacement "rubbers" for the old Par pump was $90. For the Par model 36800-1000 12v water pump, the replacement kit # is 30122-0000.

I called ess-kayyards and got the pump repair kit ordered. The ladies there were very polite and knew exactly what parts I was looking for. Much thanks to ticki2 for the lead. Much thanks to Andy @ Inland RV for good advice.

Parts ordered. Time is ticking down. I got two weeks until I bug-out on my first ever Airstream trip. Wish me luck!

page crow
Old 05-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Good luck with your trip.

In the event you ever need more parts for your pump, you can try these guys Jabsco 36800-1000 They have comparable prices to what you paid.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
<humbly bowing>
Old 05-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Martinsville , Indiana
Call Depco in Clearwater Fl. (727)446-1656
Jabsco sent me to them. They know it all inside out.
ambassadorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
The stock Par pump was a breeze to rebuild. It was easy. Anybody can do it. A few bolts and a few screws. No surprises. Nothing falls out. I took my time and had it all back together in an hour.

I recommend rebuilding the original Par pump. One advantage I can anticipate is the pressure switch is attached to the Par pump. This switch turns the pump on during pressure drop, when you open the water valve. The switch turns off when the water valve is closed and water pressure rises inside the pump chamber. You don't have the pressure switch built into late model Chinese water pumps.

Use a good screwdriver. The philips heads can strip if the screws are tight.

page crow
Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by page.crow View Post
The stock Par pump was a breeze to rebuild. It was easy. Anybody can do it. A few bolts and a few screws. No surprises. Nothing falls out. I took my time and had it all back together in an hour.

I recommend rebuilding the original Par pump. One advantage I can anticipate is the pressure switch is attached to the Par pump. This switch turns the pump on during pressure drop, when you open the water valve. The switch turns off when the water valve is closed and water pressure rises inside the pump chamber. You don't have the pressure switch built into late model Chinese water pumps.

Use a good screwdriver. The philips heads can strip if the screws are tight.

page crow
Like Mama said, "I told you so."

Andy

Tags
12v, par, water pump