Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Low water temp..2003 Airstream Classic

I have not run across anyone in any of the forums who has had the same problem, but just in case, I thought I would post the solution we finally came up with after a little trial and error.
We noticed on our first trip with the new unit that the water temp was very low. After installing a new thermostat that the factory had sent us that did not solve the problem, I thought that insulating the stat from the tank might help. The problem was what to use! After a couple of unsucessful attempts, and explaining to my wife what I was trying to accomplish she suggested a green kitchen scruby pad. It has worked great for the last two seasons! The thicker the pad the higher the temp. (the thickness of one new pad worked for us) Lesson learned-never underestimate your Airstream Partner!!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Huh?

If you're separating the thermostat sensor from the wall of the water tank, you could be putting more heat into tank than it was designed for.. The thermostats will usually keep water at 125-130 degrees, which is more than hot enough for dishes and showers...

Is it possible lack of hot water in faucets is due to partially open bypass valve on rear of water heater? That was put there to allow heater tank to drain, and if open, could cause hot and cold water to mix in hot water exit pipe... Symptoms would be as you described initial problem..

See thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ess-33987.html for picture of valve on rear of water heater, and check to see if yours is open or closed...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
The factory did advise us about the proper positions for the valves. All were correct. Sure would be nice if the Uncle Sam would trust us enough to set our own temp. The heater on our "63" Safari worked fine right up til we sold it in 2004. (damn miss that rig) Our temp has stayed about 120 degrees for the last two seasons, started at 85.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Have you made sure the bypass valve is closed? I had a similar problem with water temps staying level and when I closed the bypass off, hot side was hot and cool side cool.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Something else is wrong. Modifying the design to get the desired result is covering for the real problem. Find that and fix it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think most of us with new trailers think the water heater is a little on the hot side. I'd also agree with others that it sounds like the bypass valve that routes water around the heater is open thus allowing too little hot water to come out of the tank. We've seen this complaint a lot with new owners and it always seems to be that problem. I've done it myself.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
As I mentioned in the above post all valves are in the proper position, but the temp was still low. We even checked to see if they were opening and closing properly. As I said the temp has been steady the last two seasons with no problems at all.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
How could valves cause lukewarm water?

You asked how the valves could lower the water temp. Answer is by mixing unheated cold with hot behind tank.. Is it possible someone did any re-plumbing that could have upset valve schematics and positions compared to factory standards?

Best verification is to get thermometer and use pressure relief valve on front of tank to see what water temp is in the tank. If it is over 115 degrees, then some plumbing issues are causing the problem.. If it really is 85 degrees in the tank, then the thermostat is wrong or miscalibrated and should be replaced... If replacement thermostat won't fix problem, then try a shop, since even our federal government and their legal support staff couldn't gfeel that 85 degrees is a reasonable temperature for a "hot shower.."

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
We have no issues with the current water temp. It has been constant for the last two seasons! The temp at the tank and tap are with-in five degrees of one another. The tank is not overheating and the burner cycles as it should. So what's the problem?<> If it aint broke; fix it til it is!!