Old 09-05-2003, 01:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Question Lighting Water Heater & FNG

Hello all,
My name is Mike and I am new here.
I have a '72 International that I have had for 11 years now.
I recently took a trip across the country and before I left I put in a new water heater.
When I returned from the trip I couldn't get the water heater to light on works fine on 120v.
I turn the lighting dial to light and gas flows to the pilot.
The pilot will stay lit as long as I hold down the dial but when I release it the pilot goes out.
I then replaced the thermocouple (twice) and still nothing.
I know I am getting the thermocouple's bulb hot enough.

What should I look for inside this propane valve that might cause this?
I am fairly good with instruments but have never been inside of one of these gas valves.

Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 12:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
"I put in a new water heater"

I would have a chat with the person who sold you the water heater about warranties.

You might also try the manufacturer.

I don't think you'd want to get into the gas valve and it seems really unlikely that this would be the problem - although your story sure points in that direction as there isn't much left.

bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 03:48 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
The gas valve worked fine for about two months before I left and by now is out of warranty so Camping World will do nothing.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:55 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
Mike--you REALLY don't want to take that control apart. I've seen customers that have & for some it wasn't good news. I also don't think your insurance will cover you if something happens. I don't know your type of control, but when you heat the thermocouple or safety to the proper temp, it creates a small charge called milivots, which in turn hold a plunger type ( if you will) part up, allowing gas to flow thru to the burner. If you're sure that the flame is good on the safety- thermocouple & the thermocouple nut or connection to the valve is good, then I'd say replace the valve. If Camper World won't back the replacements, I'd replace it on my own & then write or call the valve mfc. Whatever you do, if you're not comfortable or sure, take it to a quaified LP service company. they'll save you a lot of headaches.
Home of the Wayward Wind

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 10:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Thanks for the advice AE. Milliam,
The LP service centers around me now.........well lets just say I don't think they could pour "something" out of a boot.
I once took my freshly painted steel (silver) LP tanks in for a refill at one of them and the owner picked one up and said " I can't refill these cause they are Aluminum".
He took it inside the shop for 20 minutes while I waited at the refill station and finally brought it out and filled it.
I still don't know what that was about.
Another one fixed the over-temp switch in my heater one time.........I took it in and he looked at it and said " You let it fill up with Dirt-Duabers, didn't you?"
I said to him "Don't you remember selling me the Dauber screens?"
He didn't answer and tore the cover off to try to prove his point.
Guess mud nests were found.

Would you trust these guys with a LP switch?