Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
Bay Area , California
Leaking water from Shurflo...

Hi all,

I'm a newbie owner of a 1980 22 foot Caravelle. When I turn on the water pump and water, I noticed water leaking in the front (by hitch) and back behind axle (under shower). After investigating, water shoots out the black part (the crack between the the two pieces) of the pump. Does it need a seal or something replaced? Sorry...also a newbie plumber apparently too!

Thanks!
Kelly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	117585  

Old 12-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
Bay Area , California
Also...I'm guessing I might need to clean the filter (thing to the right?) and wondering if water will start spilling everywhere if I attempt to dismantle it.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritagirl View Post
Also...I'm guessing I might need to clean the filter (thing to the right?) and wondering if water will start spilling everywhere if I attempt to dismantle it.
I'm thinking you need to install a new water pump and clean the filter. Neither of these two operations is difficult, mostly a screw on and screw off process.
Beware, if your trailer has older pvc pipes, they are brittle and break easily in the worst-to-get-to places.

Order a pump that is similar in output (CFM) online or pay the premium at your local dealer. Install it yourself and save $100.

JIM

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Also, prepare yourself. Once you have repaired this leak, your new pump may reveal other leaks that may need repairing. If that comes to pass, we'll be lined up with offers of help and advice.

Don't let it get you down. It's all good
Old 12-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Good reason to make sure the pump and all the water lines are winterized. May want to replace all the flex hoses while you are working on the pump as they are 21 years old.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I agree with the posts, replace it. Ours had been leaking for a while before we discovered it (did not leak when we were plugged-into potable). It most likely froze when we were in Flagstaff. All I can say, is, thank goodness for a plywood floor!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Jamesport , New York
leaky water pump

Hi, I recently experienced a similar (same?) problem with my water pump. I went online to the pump manufacturer and ordered a new bottom piece to replace the old one that had split probably from freezing. The part was about $12.00. I also glued the old one by using super glue and clamping it together. You might want to try this before springing for a new pump. Good luck Gill L
Old 12-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
Bay Area , California
Thanks all! Off to search for a new pump today. There is another leak toward the back of the trailer I'll need to diagnose, but I suppose one leak at a time! This looks like it has been happening for awhile. Unfortunately some of the plywood looks rotted near a bolt.

68 Twind, I'll check the hoses..or at least the ones I can find.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
Bay Area , California
Gill L, I was trying to find some replacement parts, as well, but need to do some more digging. I may need to just buy it, as we're supposed to take a trip soon...fortunately the campground has facilities if I'm not successful.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritagirl View Post
Hi all,

I'm a newbie owner of a 1980 22 foot Caravelle. When I turn on the water pump and water, I noticed water leaking in the front (by hitch) and back behind axle (under shower). After investigating, water shoots out the black part (the crack between the the two pieces) of the pump. Does it need a seal or something replaced? Sorry...also a newbie plumber apparently too!

Thanks!
Kelly
Hi Kelly,

I have attached a pdf that has a diagram of the parts in a SHURflo pump. "The black part (the crack between the the two pieces) of the pump." really doesn't help much since there are more than two pieces to a pump. You will need to remove the pump, take it apart, and determine the source of the leak. That or replace it.

I recently had a slow leak in the SHURflo pump in my Excella. I replaced it with a new one from the local Camping World. Looking on their website I see a couple of locations in the Bay Area. Of course you probably have local RV stores too. Since I live close to the North Little Rock Camping World it was convenient for me.

After replacing it and getting everything dry again, then I located the leak in my old one. Turns out it was in the diaphragm that is part of the Check Valve Assembly, 3 in the drawing, that slides onto the Switch Assembly, 2 in the drawing. At least I assume that it is part of the Check Valve Assembly. In the drawing, the part with the hole in it is exactly between the brackets that show assemblies 2 and 3. I haven't repaired the old pump since I have a new one, so I'm not exactly sure which group it belongs in.

You can look for parts online, the web address is at the top right of the pdf I attached. Just keep in mind that the price of parts quickly approaches the price of a new pump unless you search out the fanciest most optioned new pumps.

One other thing, while you have the pump out, scrub the floor with undiluted laundry bleach straight from the bottle. Scrub it and let it soak a while, no need to rinse. It will remove all those black stains and make the plywood look new. Be sure you have some ventilation, but the fumes really aren't that bad.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shurflo 2088 Series Parts Kit List.pdf (131.0 KB, 166 views)