Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #1

1974 31' Sovereign
Abingdon , Virginia
Leaking "filter" under the sink, HELP!!

Hi! I have a 31' 1974 Airstream Sovreign. I have owned this trailer for 10 years now, & has been permenantly set up at a local campground the entire time. Over the past couple of summers I've noticed a small leak coming from the "filter looking thing" under the sink. It is worse at the beginning of the camping season, but as the season progresses, less water leaks from the area. I have been keeping a dish pan under the sink to catch the water, then I empty it several times a day, and cut my water off at night, so I don't worry about over-flow. It has been a real pain, but as a divorced parent of the female gender, I'm not so handy with plumbing, nor do I have the money to pay a professional to repair it. Now, the big issue. I just opened up my camper for the season yesterday. I had the same leaking issue, but it was like always (just enough leakage to tolerate). I then cut my water off at bedtime, and this morning when I woke to turn the water back on to cook breakfast, the filter is now shooting water out of it faster than I can scoop it out or dump it! I don't know what to do to fix it, but suspect that there could be a gasket problem or a lime/calcium deposit problem, considering the area that I live in. I was wondering if the filter could be removed all together and put a compression fitting joining the hot & cold water & bypass the filter all together. I do not drink the water from the sink, just cleaning mostly, so I don't necessarily have to have my water "filtered". Has anyone out there had a similiar issue, or does anyone out there have any ideas what the problem is, if I can buy the repair parts, or just simply remove the filter as I suggested before? HELP!!! If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this problem, I won't be camping again until I do! (At least not with the water on! lol)
Thanks to whoever can help, it will be greatly appreciated!
airstream'74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Does your filter have a blue leaver on the top?

Dan
Old 06-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #3

1974 31' Sovereign
Abingdon , Virginia
Not that I'm aware of. It is kind of dark under the sink area, and I haven't gotten that close of a look at it, but it resembles stainless all over. There is a clamp on top to hold the canister, and appears to look kind of a T shape. I turned & tightened that "T" thinking it had come loose and that would tighten & stop the leak, but it didn't. I'm really kind of clueless. My camper is about 20 minutes away from my home, & I am at home at the moment. However, I will make a special trip out there this week to double check, but I really don't think there is a blue lever. It all seems to be either stainless or some type of plated metal. I used to own & run a CNC machine shop with my ex husband for 12 yrs, and I have a little experience in the understanding of how things are machined and put together, but I am kind of clueless when it comes to something this old. Thanks for the quick response, I will get some additional information for you & post again sometime this week. Thanks again!
airstream'74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
You probably have an Everpure water filter,it is an aluminum canister,that twists and locks up into the base. The line going to it is 1/8 or 1/4" line.you should be able to buy a compression cap- 3/8 or 1/4" and a roll of teflon tape ,disconnect the line @ the tee ,wrap male part of tee with teflon ,apply cap.If your filter is that old I don`t see how it could be any good anyway.I don`t understand why it hasn`t frozen and burst. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
pictures please :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
This link will show you what your filter canister should look like. Below that are the instructions on how to remove and replace it. It shows the handle that Dan references above. The canister should turn relatively easy but can sometimes be a bear to pull out.

Everpure H-54 Cartridge - FreshWaterSystems.com

Everpure H Series Installation Manual EV9730-06

My guess is the gaskets you see on the canister have rotted out since it sounds like it has not been replaced in a long time. If you decide to replace it - get a tube of 100% silicone plumbers grease and put that on the gaskets of the new canister. It will help it seat and the gaskets will last much longer.

If you decide to disconnect it. You'll need to unhook the lines from the collar you take the canister out of and connect them together to maintain cold water flow. If you go that route - and have original copper plumbing - you should be able to use this style fitting. Wrap the threads of of the fitting with a couple turns of Teflon tape - in the same direction that the nut on the PIPE will turn onto the fitting.

Anderson Metal 54802-06 Brass Flare Union F802 3/8"#
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote