Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2004, 10:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Morning Dew
Just arrived! (tankless water heater)

the ups lady just dropped it off. i took it out of the box and its siting in my living room as i type. this kinda feels like christmas. i can't wait to get'er in. by the way, the brushed alluminum door is going to match the airstream perfectly.
2500 Truck with Cummins Diesel Power and a 4.10 rear end.
Morning Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Who did you get it from?

Keep us posted on any gotchas and how well it does what you got it for.

Thanks
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

its a RV-500 from precisiontemp. I looked around for other companys but this was really the only one that was specifically made for older campers. it fits PERFECTLY in the old hole. i won't know how well it works for another month because i've ripped out my entire bathroom due to floor rot. the one i purchased is a refurbished model for $200 less than the normal retail. it still has a 1year waranty though. it might be refurbished but it looks brand new to me.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

RV-500 Tankless Link
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
This is kewl`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Morning Dew~
Except for the initial cost, I've always wondered why this product hasn't taken the RV Industry by a storm~Great Idea~!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Talking

How much did your tankless system cost? I checked out the site. I only want to use a tankless system in our AS and have only seen the tankless system at Lowes, but they are cumbersome! Lowe's also requires that you special order this system.....How long did it take for you to get your unit after ordering?
Old 05-20-2004, 05:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Morning Dew~
Except for the initial cost, I've always wondered why this product hasn't taken the RV Industry by a storm~Great Idea~!
ciao
53FC
Except for use in a permanent park setup, I don't see the point of a tankless water heater. The standard Atwood six gallon heater has a recovery time less than the time it takes for one of us to quit the shower and dry off, at least on lp. We have never run out of hot water.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:18 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

first off, like kramer from the Sienfeld show says, "I'm fanatical about my showers". I ALWAYS ran out of hot water, and was sick of having to stop only at rv parks that have showers on site. I called precisiontemp about a two mothes ago and he quoted me a price around $950 before shipping. i told him that was too much and then he told me they get refurbished units in every so often, and they're $200 less. so i told him to call me when he gets one in. about a month later he called and 3 days later it was at my door in perfect condition with owners manual, brushed alluminum door, and warranty card. TOTAL cost $715 exactly.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:34 PM   #9
photoduo

Since you now have a unit in your posession, maybe you could clarify the rough opening measurements for me. What is the rough opening that you will install the unit into? The technical specs in the link for the RV-500 say that the unit is easily interchanged with existing 10 gallon water heater setups. Most 10 gallon heater openings are about 16 inches wide (correct me if i am wrong). I have a 77" sovereign and the opening is about 16" wide even though it is a 6 gallon heater. The specs say that the RV-500 is 13.5" wide and about 14" high. Is this correct or is this a typo. Will I have to fill in the sides with a spacer plate and cut up vertically to retrofit this unit, or do they offer an adapter kit. I want the unit especially because of it's shallow depth which will enable me to increase leg room on the side of the toilet, not to mention the continous hot water flow............
thanks.......charlie
nycphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:37 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

the opening on the side of my airstream is 16x15.25(i think,its been a while since i measured). the unit will easilly fit into this size hole. the unit has about a 3 inch flange all around so flush mounting in nearly any size hole is no problem. the only thing they suggest is having the unit be in some way contacting the ground. in other words, stick a some wood between the bottome of the unit and the floor. this way a 40 lb heater isn't "bouncing" around as you cruise.