Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
@ Jackson Ctr, Need Advice!

Well I am at the mother ship and turned in a list of about 25 items, one of which to find out why my gray and black tanks do not register a true empty, when empty. While the tech was fiddling with the buttons, he turned on the water pump (the AC was on so you could not hear it). Long story short, he left it on, and while I waited for 1.5 hours for them to deliver to the terra port, it stayed on with no water in the fresh water tank. Thank goodness I checked out the noise when I got the trailer in my spot for the night, and turned it off. Do you think it is messed up? I have not put any water in the fresh water tank yet, but wondered, if the tank is out of water, what happens to the pump?

Took a tour of the plant, and saw 2010s coming off the line, a lot of the Swiss Army trailers. Production has slowed way down from 35/week a year ago, to 12, yes 12! Up from 9 last week. They have let 1/2 their workforce go until things build up again. They went from a 600 unit backlog to 0. They are however in production - how many other RV companies can you say that.

Service is busy, but the couple next to me called last Friday to get a Monday appointment, so wiggle room in scheduling. Now is a good time to get work done if you have been putting it off.

Anyway, thanks for any advice about the water pump.

Nancy
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Nancy. I did this once. Stopped at a dump station. We were headed home and the fresh water was almost empty. So I opened the fresh water drain between the roadside wheels. An hour+ later we stopped for lunch and I heard the pump trying to pressurize with nothing in the tank. I was worried but then read somewhere here (Lewster? I dunno...) that this wouldn't harm the pump. Three years later it seems to be running just fine.

Hope that holds true for you too!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I hope you mentioned that the tech left it on without water in the tank? I think water is what keeps the pumps cool and without water they can over heat and fail prematurely. I would bring this up to them.
How did the drive go Nancy? Were you able to dial in the hitch? How did the new SUV do? Wow, a list of 25 things that seems like a lot! You have a brand new rig.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Hi Nancy!

If the pump still pumps water, (whirrs when it ought to) and doesn't let water fall back out of the lines and back into the tank it's probably fine. Old pumps didn't like to run dry, but the newer self-priming pumps are designed not to fail if run dry. An hour and a half is a little long... but it probably didn't damage anything.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Hi all thanks for all the good advice! I feel better now and will let the tech know in the am, so it doesn't happen again.

Subfan the rig drove great and I even had to drive up the pass between Asheville an Knoxville in a horrific rain that would not stop! I am pretty impressed with our aspen and the tow features came in real handy. I will be here in Jackson ctr till Friday then I am off to PA for a week. Feeling much more like driving the new setup now that I know it is dialed in!

Will keep you informed of the trip! Anything you all would like to get info on while I am here at JC?

Nancy
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote