Old 04-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Jackson County , Missouri
Is the water pressure regulator really necessary?

Howdy folks:

This may be a dumb question, but I gotta ask it:

Is the water pressure regulator really necessary on my 78 Sovereign?

I'm talking about the unit that goes inline for the external water source line imput. Not the tank, the hookup water source.

If I yank that piece and the back-flow prevention valve piece, it appears I will get free-flow into my plumbing. BUT....will I not really increase my risk of blowing a fitting under the trailer or something if I do this?

Does the water pressure really vary greatly around the country and in different external spigots?

My safe is to replace it and keep it working in the system, right?

I was afraid you were gonna say that. <grinning>

best regards,
page.crow

Old 04-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Yes you do need a regulator. Water pressure can be all over the place. At my home it is 100+ PSI. You could get a regulator that screws onto your hose to replace the one in the trailer. That is how my trailer is setup.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Water pressure varies greatly , even in the same campground depending on terrain . I have found that I also have needed an inline one to protect the hose at the spigot. As far as the backflow valve you will need that too . Without one you won't be able to use the water tank and pump , it will just flow out city connecter.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Preferably a good adjustable one with a gauge, at the spigot,,,,,,,,,,"don't leave home without it".

It's really ugly to come back after a day of sightseeing and find water running out the bottom of your rig. Not that it ever happened to me you understand.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I will add to the choirs. YES I blew a diapham in the lod style PAR pump used in your 77 when I had it installed in my 63 but forgot to hook up the regulator at the water source and ended up coming back to a soaked trailer. I could not find a replacement diapham in the area so I installed a Flowtec replacement. I now will always remember to install the regulator and turn off the source before I leave on a site seeing trip. My 77 has the regulator built into the back compartment but I will still use the portable regulator at the water source.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Guess you know by now that "yes" it is the only way to be safe.

I used to have one with a gage and found water pressure from 118psi to 40psi.

Garry
Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Guelph , Ontario
Really appreciate the forums. We've been wondering about the necessity of a water pressure regulator as well. Thanks to all - will get one ASAP.

Shar
Sharleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:01 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
I have a inline pressure valve I purchased at walmart max pressure 50 psi just a back up in case the one I have which is 20 years old desides not to work. I also installed a inline back flow valve at the pump to .

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Jackson County , Missouri
To all my Fellow trailer-sailors: Much thanks! OK! I concur. <grinning> Off to the hardware or plumbing supply stores and both pieces will be replaced. Let me re-cap this thread:

1. The pressure-regulator is necessary due to wide variation of pressures.
2. An in-line pressure regulator can be installed along the hose line. This type of pressure regulator can be purchased at WAL MART?
3. Without the back-flow one-way valve, the internal water pump will pump your tank water back out the hose fitting. (of course...)
4. The back-flow valve can be installed right next to the internal pump. (Thank you Mr. Crowley.)

I'm a newbie to Airstreams. When I bought this beast (31' Sovereign) I didn't know I was also buying into such a great group of like-minded folks. Naive me. <grinning>

Much obliged you all,

page crow
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."
Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You can replace the hose connection fitting with one that has the check valve built into it. That would take care of #3.

As stated earlier, the in line hose regulator should be placed at the water valve and not at the trailer end of the hose. This will keep the high pressure water out of the hose and prevent it from failing.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
I think you would want the check valve before the water pump to protect it from line pressure . Would that sound correct?

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
There are typically 2 check valves in a trailer of this vintage; one keeps pump/tank water from going out the city hookup, and another one just before the pump, to keep city water from blowing into the pump and water tank. Some pumps have an internal check-valve, but some don't.

now, a question of my own: what does Airstream put in the current models for a regulator?
I have the big-old bulky one out of the trailer at the moment, but I don't want to rely on only the cheap 5$ walmart special forever. Wondering if maybe there is a lighter/smaller/easier to fit in a tight space type regulator that could be used instead. (not sure if the old one even works...or how it could be tested).
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
YES! YES! YES!...You need a pressure regulator!!!

Just had a guy call yesterday saying he hooked his trailer up yesterday morning, turned on the water and went off to work...when he got home, you guessed it, his whole trailer was flooded! Water was pouring from his underbelly, water rushed out his door when he opened it. NO pressure regulator! It blew the line under his kitchen sink and ran all day until the park manager saw all the water coming out from under his trailer and turned off the water supply at about 3 that afternoon!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by page.crow View Post
To all my Fellow trailer-sailors: Much thanks! OK! I concur. <grinning> Off to the hardware or plumbing supply stores and both pieces will be replaced. Let me re-cap this thread:

1. The pressure-regulator is necessary due to wide variation of pressures.
2. An in-line pressure regulator can be installed along the hose line. This type of pressure regulator can be purchased at WAL MART?
3. Without the back-flow one-way valve, the internal water pump will pump your tank water back out the hose fitting. (of course...)
4. The back-flow valve can be installed right next to the internal pump. (Thank you Mr. Crowley.)

I'm a newbie to Airstreams. When I bought this beast (31' Sovereign) I didn't know I was also buying into such a great group of like-minded folks. Naive me. <grinning>

Much obliged you all,

page crow
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."
I question #4 . The back-flow valve has to be after the pressure regulator at the city supply end and before the first tap for water in the trailer , otherwise something will not be fed . A second one can be used at the pump to prevent overfilling the tank if it's not built into the pump . Personally , I use a manual valve at the pump .

Tags
water pressure regulator