Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Is it normal for pump to kick on after 4 or 5 hours?

We have a new 2015 Serenity and went camping a couple of weeks ago.

I noticed that the water pump would randomly kick on about every 4 to 8 hours for just a second or two.

It was cold and we were running heater as well as water heater full time to prevent freezing.

Is this normal or do you think there is a tiny leak somewhere? So far I have not noticed any drips or water anywhere and I have opened all cabinets to examine the plumbing but all looks good.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Totally normal as water cools and reduces pressure, the pump may run for a second to increase pressure. It's wise to turn off pump when you leave the trailer and leave it off at night for quiet rest.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It will kick on periodically, to stay pressurized.

If it is running a lot, or non stop, rather than a leak there more likely is something not completely tight, allowing air in.

Maggie
Old 02-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
One "leak" which will cause the pump to come on now and then, but causes no harm, is leakage back through the check valves of the pump itself. Our old pump (1980 trailer--and it might have been the original pump) used to run a few seconds every few minutes when it was turned on and water was not being used.

Last year I replaced it with a new pump and now it only runs a few seconds every few hours to keep the system pressurized. (Incredibly quieter than the old pump, too.)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think the system should hold the pressure. I think it would take about a pint of water lost to bring the pressure down to starting the pump. There may some pressure lost back through the check valve, but I would still pull out some drawers, look for leakage around the PEX crimps and valves, look under the trailer for a drip or two, see if there is any sign of a visible leak.

As mojo said, it's good practice to shut the pump off when not used overnight or several hours. My friend had an overnight internal toilet valve stick partially and by morning the black tank had filled overflowed into the bathroom.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Mine only does that if there's a leak. Maybe different pumps act differently, but if the system is watertight, it can go all night without running. If we hear it kick on, that's a sure sign there's a leak somewhere.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The only time you should experience this is because of a leak but I have also had an air pocket in the lines that has caused some slight pump cycling.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The cooling water explanation may have some merit - we do turn our water heater off during the day and overnight, and occasionally the pump will run briefly. I've always guessed this is because the water is cooling and contracting, so the pressure drops a bit. There are no signs of leaks anywhere in our water system.

Every 4 to 8 hours is rare enough that I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd be listening and watching for more frequent pulses and signs of leaks.

It also could be a little water is coming out of the overpressure valve or drain plug of the water heater.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Leaking back through the 'check' valve is most likely...and the water merely runs back into the 'fresh water tank'.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've heard our pump kick on about once in an overnight situation. And it is really brief. Never have found any evidence of leaks but it does seem to have some relationship with weather. The more the variance between daytime and overnight temperatures, the better chance of this occurring. It would seem to me that if there was a leak, especially when I'm in a full hookup site for a lengthy stay, I would eventually see some evidence of a leak. Especially when the system is potentially under higher pressure than what the pump maintains.

I chalk it up to possibly a pump issue and its internal construction and sensor that detects the pressure in the system. I know the hot water heater will cause a build up of pressure in the system. I had a long talk with a county inspector who was checking out my water heater installation at home. He noted that my new water heater had a drop of water on the safety valve outlet. He said this was typical due to the pressure on the water system as the water heater heated the water. In some homes he noted that the water supply pressure regulator required by code can relieve this pressure. But as the regulator ages, it becomes calcified up which in turn stops that relief. In turn, that pressure from the heating process can slightly push the safety valve enough to expel a few drops of water. Once the tank cools down to it normal holding mode, the pressure in the line decreases and the valve closes.

As the Airstream's water heater cools, especially when it isn't being used (like overnight), there could be enough of a pressure drop in the system to cause a pump sensor to possibly activate. Is multiple times a night normal? No. But once in an overnight? Yep, it's possible. Personally I just can't get overly excited about this unless you start hearing this pump either starting to cycle longer or more often, or you see evidence of water. I really think this is an issue more related to the pump itself than a leak in your water system.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I had my water pump burb every few hours and found a leak. At first I couldn't find it but when I saw water dripping out of weep holes in the Rotocast water tank enclosure under the trailer I first thought it was the water tank leaking. I was in a panic. Further investigation discovered a slow leaking fitting. Water dripped down the access hole to the top of the water tank and after some time poured down the sides of the tank to the bottom of the Rotocast shell and then to the weep holes. Once I repaired the fitting the pump didn't burb.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
This is normal and I've also come to believe it is the check valve in the pump itself - however - what I have yet to figure out is why it only does this at night after we're in bed and in a deep sleep ......

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
This is normal and I've also come to believe it is the check valve in the pump itself - however - what I have yet to figure out is why it only does this at night after we're in bed and in a deep sleep ......

Jay

It knows, Jay, IT KNOWS!!!

-Red, kind of scared now...
Old 02-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
It knows, Jay, IT KNOWS!!!

-Red, kind of scared now...
Spooky .....

..... the stuff of campfire ghost stories ......

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep an eye on it to see if I have a problem with it in the summer when I can turn off the water heater at night and not have to worry about freezing.

So far I have yet to see any leaks on the ground or in any of the plumbing, so I am not going to worry about it at this point.

I think I might upgrade the water pump at a later date. Mine seems to be really noisy. I have heard a few say that a better quality pump can be used that runs quiet.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Might think about a small pressure accumulator tank to help hold pressure up. We have a tankless water heater snow and the pump short-cycles a bit more now. Once I get the accumulator (Sureflow) installed it should work better.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I only turn the pump on when we need water, am in the trailer and not asleep.

And this is why....cross threaded at assembly, sprung at the campground third time out with nobody home, luckily most of the water drained outside between the axles.
Under the bathroom sink....

Emergency Marine-Tex repair is still intact.

I used these to isolate the pump....much less vibration.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
We turn the pump on when we want water and turn it off when we are finished. Every time. We never leave the pump on.
I installed a switch in the bathroom parallel to the one in the galley. We can turn the pump on and off from either location.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2013 25' Flying Cloud
In the Rockies, 6700' , Colorado
I bought two 2013 Airstreams within about six months of each other. Both had some minor leaks in the exact same spots. They were always at the hand-tightened fittings on the water pump, water filter, hot water heater, etc. Once I tightened those fittings, I have had no further leaks.

Air will leak out places that water will not. A practical illustration of that is your GoreTex raincoat. Additionally, new installations of municipal water systems are tested with air pressure before they are charged with water. They are never expected to hold air pressure. Instead, they are tested and measured by an "acceptable" drop in air pressure over a given period of time.

As "Mojo" mentioned, temperature changes will effect the water pressure. So will altitude and barometric changes. Any of these could cause your pump to run. Most leaks will become obvious at some point. It sounds to me like you are on the right track by checking for drips or puddles. As some of the other folks have said, I think it is a good idea to turn the water pump off away from the trailer or when sleeping. This is absolutely important when moving the trailer.

Enjoy your adventures!
Minipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #20
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I used these to isolate the pump....much less vibration.

Bob
Alright Bob, where'd you get 'em? Big box? I would seriously like to give that a try.

-Red, wheels are turnin'...