Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Is a rubber propane hose a viable option?

I'm turning to our community for some insight. I recently replaced the original Bowen? hot water tank in our 68 Sovereign with an Atwood 6 gal electric/propane model. Given what was there, I had to move stuff around. In running the new copper propane line from the shutoff under the trailer into the compartment where the hot water tank is located, I find that I have an approximate 8" - 12" distance from where the copper line comes out of the floor and the gas inlet valve on the hot water tank.

My issue is that this is a tight area to get into with at least one one 90 ( and possibly 45 ) degree bend involved. My question is given the short distance, are there any reasons why I could not use a Camco Propane Hose with the proper male end / female flare end to gap this last 8"-12" and connect the copper gas supply line coming out of the floor to the gas inlet on the hot water tank?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
cheetah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah1 View Post
I'm turning to our community for some insight. I recently replaced the original Bowen? hot water tank in our 68 Sovereign with an Atwood 6 gal electric/propane model. Given what was there, I had to move stuff around. In running the new copper propane line from the shutoff under the trailer into the compartment where the hot water tank is located, I find that I have an approximate 8" - 12" distance from where the copper line comes out of the floor and the gas inlet valve on the hot water tank.

My issue is that this is a tight area to get into with at least one one 90 ( and possibly 45 ) degree bend involved. My question is given the short distance, are there any reasons why I could not use a Camco Propane Hose with the proper male end / female flare end to gap this last 8"-12" and connect the copper gas supply line coming out of the floor to the gas inlet on the hot water tank?

Everything above the belly pan has to be copper until you reach the appliance. That's RVIA code. Rubber is not permitted.

Best option is drill a new floor penetration so you can come straight up to the new water heater instead of snaking the line around bends, relocate the portion of the propane line below the belly pan where it's readily accessible to be moved, and plug the old floor penetration.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Hi Protagonist! Thank you for your reply. I was really, really, really hoping I could get by with a rubber propane hose for these last few inches, but it seems like it is not meant to be. I appreciate your insight!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The proper (small!) copper line should bend into tight corners really easily. You can use a brake line bending tool, available for a few dollars at any auto parts place, which will give you a bend radius of about 1".
Old 07-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Hi Jammer, - Thank you for your input. I am resigned that I have to use copper for this bit of install and appreciate your insight that this may be a bit easier than I am imagining!! The adventure continues!!
Old 07-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Drilling the new hole might be an easier solution than the extra bends to make an old hole work in a tight corner. Perhaps working back from the water heater and make the last connection in the open.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:

Hi cheetah1 -- the Camco Propane Hose you mentioned in your post is okay to use for the application you listed above.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Just do NOT, under any circumstances, use the metal corrugated flex gas lines intended for home appliances. They are NOT rated for use in trailers or RVs. Guaranteed to vibrate, split, and thus leak propane. Not a good idea...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thank you NevadaGeo. In looking at what I have, your suggestion also popped into my mind as a more sane way to approach this. Additionally, since the copper tubing comes up through the flooring at a distance of about 12" from where the gas inlet is on the hot water tank, I'm thinking of putting at least one loop into that copper tubing to make it easier to move the connection around for when the time comes to replace that heater. Interestingly, I also received a reply from Airstream in Jackson Center telling me it is OK to use that flexible Camco rubber propane hose to make the connection from the copper tubing coming up in the floor to the hot water tank gas inlet. That surprised me - but if I can do that, this project just got a lot easier! What do you think?
Old 07-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Interestingly, I also received a reply from Airstream in Jackson Center telling me it is OK to use that flexible Camco rubber propane hose to make the connection from the copper tubing coming up in the floor to the hot water tank gas inlet. That surprised me - but if I can do that, this project just got a lot easier! What do you think?
I don't agree with them, but I'm not willing to say they're wrong— it might be me who's wrong.

But think of this: Rubber hoses degrade over time. They chafe against any sharp edge or corner in the area. The rubber gets old and cracks. If the hose isn't intact for whatever reason, you have propane leaking into your living spaces. That is a bad thing.

Something to consider, that most people don't know… Going "boom" isn't the main danger in having propane leak into your trailer. Long before there's enough propane to explode, there's enough to put you in the hospital, or the morgue. Propane becomes hazardous to breathe at just 10% of the lower explosive limit. That's the same concentration at which your propane detector goes off. So by the time the detector goes off, you're already in danger.

The folks at Airstream might be right, that you can use rubber propane hose inside the trailer. My memory might be faulty that it's against RVIA code. Personally I wouldn't take that chance. I'd use copper only inside the trailer, because I know what propane leaks can do to me. But I'm not the one who has to choose in this case.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thank you Airstream! If I can use this, this project just got a lot easier. To confirm, the Camco hose I am talking about is the Heavy Duty 3' Propane Hose Assembly with 3/8" female flare X 3/8" female flare that Camco sells to go with the WAVE heaters. According to their direction for the WAVE heaters, this hose connects to the copper propane gas supply line and then connects to the WAVE heater.

My project is to connect to the copper gas supply tubing coming up through floor and connect that to the gas inlet of the Atwood water heater that is approximately 12" away. The 3' of the rubber hose is more than I need, BUT - it will allow me to leave the excess length coiled there for when the time comes to replace this water heater to make it easier to back out that connection when needed.

In your opinion, am I looking at using this 3' of Camco propane hose correctly?

Thank you!
Old 07-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Protagonist, thank you for your input on this. Fortunately, or unfortunately - depending on your viewpoint, I'm one of those individuals that's extremely detail orientated. I can see myself putting a tag on this to replace it in 5 years. I am also putting in a WAVE 8 heater in the front of the trailer ( with the proper ventilation in mind) that uses this same heavy duty Camco propane hose from the copper supply line.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thanks rmkrum! I researched these as an option and was convinced they are NOT compatible with a travel trailer!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Propane line to water heater

cheetah1, You may want to check with a local Propane dealer on this project. If memory serves (and I think it does) you can have them make you a shorter version of the Camco hose at what will be a lower cost for sure. It will be just as safe as the Camco hose and fit into your available space better. My local dealer made my new hose and splitter hoses that go to the hard copper line at the A frame and to the tanks from the regulator. I am very impressed with the testing they did to assure no leaks and proper operation. I am currently having them make up a propane hose line for my furnace and stove to replace old (original) bent up lines to my appliances. I considered the Camco hoses but the length was just too long in the areas near the appliances. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Protagonist, thank you for your input on this. Fortunately, or unfortunately - depending on your viewpoint, I'm one of those individuals that's extremely detail orientated.
No sweat. My opinion is only an opinion, not a mandate. I don't get upset if the advice I offer isn't taken.

My goal is to allow others to make an informed decision, which you are doing. So my work here is done.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
BIGED52, it definitely helps. I did not even think of that option and here I am in northern Wisconsin - home of propane dealers!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I'm with Protagonist on this, why not just use copper anyway? Flairing tool cost?

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Nope. Inexperience of trying to get that copper line to fit perfectly in a tight space (although I do have to buy the flaring tools). Second concern is having to replace that water tank in the future without having any "give" to that copper line in case it has to be removed. Third reason is not understanding why it is OK to use the Camco rubber propane hose to connect a free-standing WAVE 8 heater from an existing copper propane line - but - it is not OK to connect the water heater within a 12" space from an existing copper propane line. Hope that makes sense!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Old School vs. new tech

This is the debate as the hoses these days are not as susceptible to age cracking and propane dry out as the old radiator hose lines on the past. The Techs from AirstreamInc. would never recommend the use of any product that could leave them open for a law suit due to a safety issue. These new hoses whether Camco or other provider are far and away better than previous hoses. Not having to deal with copper tubing.... PRICELESS! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Nope. Inexperience of trying to get that copper line to fit perfectly in a tight space (although I do have to buy the flaring tools). Second concern is having to replace that water tank in the future without having any "give" to that copper line in case it has to be removed. Third reason is not understanding why it is OK to use the Camco rubber propane hose to connect a free-standing WAVE 8 heater from an existing copper propane line - but - it is not OK to connect the water heater within a 12" space from an existing copper propane line. Hope that makes sense!
OK sorry my ignorance I guess.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote