Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
How to use the new Water heater ?

hi the community,
I've just replace my old propane water heater by a new one ATWOOD 10 gal with propane / electric with electric ignition , and a small control panel with 2 buttons and a light between.
But NO manual owner . I don't want to do an error in using it, so how to do to use it, only on propane, only on electric, does it work on 12 v , on 110v ... lot of questions.

Thank you by advance.

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoffrance View Post
hi the community,
I've just replace my old propane water heater by a new one ATWOOD 10 gal with propane / electric with electric ignition , and a small control panel with 2 buttons and a light between.
But NO manual owner . I don't want to do an error in using it, so how to do to use it, only on propane, only on electric, does it work on 12 v , on 110v ... lot of questions.

Thank you by advance.

Bruno.
Bruno, the new propane water heater needs the 12 volts for the valves and igniter, but it will not heat water on 12 volts. The light shows when the heater is not heating, either because the propane is empty, or there is no electricity (120 volt). One switch on the panel is for 120 volt, the other is for propane. You can heat water on propane, electricity, or both at once. The electric switch should have the picture of voltage, the other should have the picture of flame for the propane.
I have the wiring diagram for your water heater, but it is at work. If no one has the wiring diagram for you before then, I can copy it and put it here after work Monday.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #3
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Hi Overlander63;
I've gotten the wiring diagram , (thank you for your proposition) but not the manual owner / how to use the WH...
2airishuman has sent me some explanations ( thank you too) and I'll try to start with that.

bruno.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Bruno,
Here is a manual from 2000
Let me know if this is the one you need, if not I will see what else I can dig up.

Aaron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf atwood1.pdf (7.51 MB, 77 views)
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
This is the manual I used for mine:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AtwoodInstall.pdf (370.2 KB, 49 views)
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Hi Cameron120 & Wahoonc,
thank you for your documents in Pdf, I 've found how to do now...
On the page 8, there is the wiring diagram N°12 for the combination gas/electric but something is not clear...
The wire green5 is to connect to the -12v that is with the ground symbol ( ???): is it -12 v or ground ?( I'have plugged to the -12v , I'm right ?).
Just behind, the "remote lock out lamp" is to connect to the blue3 wire and the ground... Ground or -12v ???? ( i have plugged to ground ... Right ?).
i don't want to make error between negative 12v and ground...

thank you for your advices.

Bruno;
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The 12 volt system has a +12 volt line and a return (ground) which is sometimes referred to as the -12 volt line. For the most part, they only run +12 volt lines in the trailer and use the frame/shell as the 12 volt return (ground). I believe that is why you see the ground symbol on that line. I would attach the GRN5 line to an exposed piece of the frame/shell with a star washer to ensure a good connection.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoffrance View Post
Just behind, the "remote lock out lamp" is to connect to the blue3 wire and the ground... Ground or -12v ???? ( i have plugged to ground ... Right ?).
i don't want to make error between negative 12v and ground...

thank you for your advices.

Bruno;
Bruno, I wired one of these last Thursday, but it was propane only. The remote lock out lamp ground is -12 volts. It goes to the low voltage ground, or frame of the trailer.