Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Yarmouth , Maine
How long does is generally take for the water to heat up?

Greetings, We're getting ready for our maiden journey this coming Friday. Yesterday we tested out all of the systems in our AS and everything works just great (air conditioner with generator, water system sanitized, fridge, toilet, heat, oven, gas stove top etc). We managed to fire up the water heater with two attempts and all appears in good working order. The one thing that surprised me is the length of time it takes to heat up the water. After 20 minutes with the water heater on, the water got just luke warm. My thought is that the water in the fresh water tank was very cold (just filled it) and it takes some time to heat up. In general, how long does it take for the water to heat up for let's say a warm shower (I'm not looking for a hot shower here, just something that's considered warm). Is this unusual...20 minutes and luke warm? Only 4 days and off we go. I can barely contain myself and wonder how productive I'll be at work this week!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
When heating with gas , the heat up time is fast. Seems like less than 10 minutes. We don't have an electric function on our water heater.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Check this thread.....

I did a time check on ours, yours should be similar.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
When heating with gas , the heat up time is fast. Seems like less than 10 minutes. We don't have an electric function on our water heater.
Looks like I have a poor sense of time. Time flys when you are heating water for a shower.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Your water heater should heat the water within ten minutes or so and very hot at that. Check your owner's manual and be certain that the three valves at the heater are aligned properly. If not, you'll be mixing cold water with hot and only get luke warm water at the tap and shower head. Have fun out there.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Our '89 25' Excella takes 25 - 30 minutes. It is a gas only. This seems like a long time to me and I was somewhat anxious the first few times we ran it. I hung around close, even shutting it off once thinking something was wrong. It heats just fine with plenty of water for a shower.
Dan
Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
10 minutes is steaming hot using the electric heat in our 2012. We rarely use the gas, but it was pretty quick when we did.

When we stop, wife takes the inside as I take the outside, and by the time I get the connections made and lower the pods, the water is hot.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
Our '89 25' Excella takes 25 - 30 minutes. It is a gas only. This seems like a long time to me and I was somewhat anxious the first few times we ran it. I hung around close, even shutting it off once thinking something was wrong. It heats just fine with plenty of water for a shower.
Dan
When water heaters take a long time to bring the water up to temperature, that usually suggests that the burner is not operating as it should, so that it generates considerable heat.

Typically, the burner orifice is dirty and needs cleaning, and/or the air adjustment for the main burner is not correct.

The proper adjustment for the main burner air is to make sure that the burner makes a "roaring" sound. If not, then the burner is not operating efficiently.

Andy
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
When I tested ours for the first time this year a few months the burner flame was wimpy....usually roars. So I removed it and it appeared clear so I reinstalled it, a 1 minute project. Still no roaring flame, just a smoky wimpy flame, a definite sign of air restriction. I removed it again a looked more closely. That time I detected an almost transparent spider web. A one second blast of air.....the subsequent roaring flame gave me hot water in less than 10 minutes.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Yarmouth , Maine
Hi Folks...Thanks for your replies. I have to say, Airstream Forums is great...a valuable resource for fellow AS's to provide one another with support, advice, expertise.It's like the WebMD of the Airstream world.So, we have plenty of 'roar' when the water heater is burning (no wimpy flames and void of any 8 legged creatures!). Our next steps are to ensure that we're not mixing cold water into the hot water, and then to get all of the air out of the lines. I'll provide an update in a couple of days. Raining in Maine over the next couple of days, which puts a little damper on preparations. Cheers!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Yarmouth , Maine
Thanks for the replies, folks. It's been raining for the last couple of day so we haven't had a chance to test the water heater again, but will today. I had another thought...when using the water pump, it rumbles and vibrates a lot, which impacts the flow of water (plenty of water coming out of the faucets, but the pressure and sound simulates a jet lawn sprinkler). I wonder if the water pump has an issue which is forcing air into the pipes? OK, I'm not mechanically inclined (I'll stick to health care delivery for my day job!), but I do wonder if the pump and water heater impact one another??
Old 06-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

LM,

Can't say for sure if the vibration will cause flow concerns, but I installed these to help reduce the noise and shaking...might be worth a try.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote