Old 12-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Sulphur , Louisiana
How does a 12v water pump work?

Is it supposed to run all the time or just kick on when a faucet is opened? If it just turns on, what turns it on?
Am I supposed to turn a switch on the control panel? 76 tradewind

Old 12-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Water pumps only run when there is a drop in water pressure in the lines. On the original Paar pump the switch is easy to identify being screwed into the pump. More modern pumps like the Shureflows have the pressure switch mounted internally. Usually in a square enclosure on the front of the pump.
My '72 has a switch on the control panel as do most of the Airstreams I've seen.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There is a manual switch to turn the power to the pump on and off for storage and other reasons.

Once the pump is turned on, it will run long enough to build up pressure and then shut off. When you open a faucet, the pressure drop will turn the pump on and it will run (or cycle on and off) to keep the pressure from going too high. When you shut the faucet off, the pump will stop within a few seconds usually.

So, it is all automatic once you turn the pump switch on, assuming everything is working right.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:14 AM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Another aspect of the inline pressure switch (not the on/off wall switch) which causes the pump to activate due to pressure loss that you should know about is, "If you hear pump cycle (come on) occasionally and all the faucets are closed (not in use) then start searching for where there is a leaky pipe or fitting."
Old 12-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
One other point for the OP to understand is that the pump won't always shut off, or take a long time to stop if there is too much air being sucked into the pump. That could be low water level in the tank or an air leak at the suction piping or at the filter ahead of the pump.

Anybody care to weigh in about shutting off the pump while away from the trailer? I usually do but funny thing is I don't shut off the park supply unless I'm going to be away over night or for an extended time.
JCW
Old 12-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Anybody care to weigh in about shutting off the pump while away from the trailer? I usually do but funny thing is I don't shut off the park supply unless I'm going to be away over night or for an extended time.
JCW
I always shut off the pump or the city when away from the trailer. You only need to come back once to find a flooded trailer to convince you to do this.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
We turn the pump on when we need water and shut it off when we don't. I installed a second switch in the bathroom making it very convenient to turn on the pump when water is needed the off when we are done.. The other switch is near the galley sink.

Tags
12v