Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
How do I get this water heater out

I am in the process of a complete replumb on my '63 Globtrotter and am at the point that I have a nice pile of copper and fittings. It is now time to deal with the water heater removal. I was told it was a Bowen and I have a 6 gal Attwood for a replacement. I have looked at the sites that show this but my heater doesn't look like the others . It is round with a relief valve going through the floor and looks to be attached to a "duct" for want of a better description on the inside wall (is it a 10 gallon perhaps ). Can I remove it through the exterior wall opening or is it a sawsall job as it is too big to go through the closet door. The Attwood has the worst installation instructions I've ever seen. How does it attach to the trailer? What can I get for a drip pan? No vent tubes on the relief valve? You can tell this is my first time for this job as I have actually read the instuctions. Gotta get this thing out.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1964 19' Globetrotter
Centerville , Utah
My '64 Globetrotter has the same round water heater (still working great). If the tank itself doesn't leak you might be better off keeping it in and fixing the gas lines etc. If otherwise, you are going to have to take it out through the closet/linen area. I don't think a sawsall is the way to go however, unless of course you plan on ripping out all the interior on that side anyway. You can carefull disassemble all that closet area and remove it that way. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Got it out

Got the water heater out but it was an ordeal. It does come out through the exterior. However it looks like it was put in and then the inside was skinned during manufacture as the interior wall was a smaller opening than the exterior and had to be enlarged at the top of the opening by about 1.5 inches (aviation shears , dremel and hacksaw blade). Also had to cut flush the supply nipples.This heater also has a pin in it that fits a bracket in the floor and it can only be pulled to the outside. In pulling it slip a piece of sheet metal or mat board(used for framing pictures) between the heater and the floor or the pin will catch the belly pan metal that wraps on the floor. I learned the hard way with two minor tears that I will now learn to repair.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote