Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

hot water help needed !!!!

not got any hot water in my 72 ambassador boiler is lit and times out help please
the welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

I'm just guessing but, could it be the water pump is not working or the valve that lets water into the hot water tank is not open?
PKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by the welshman
not got any hot water in my 72 ambassador boiler is lit and times out help please
Or are you saying you can't keep the burner lit?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Is your tank vented and full of water? Do you have any pressure out of the hot water faucet? Need more info............
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Hot Water Heater Help

I suggest you manually open the hot water relief valve which is located near to the top of the tank. Manually hold it open until water water comes out of the valve, then release it.

If you are not getting any water there, then check your by pass line to verify you are NOT by passing the tank. Its possible you are still by passing the tank when it was winterized.

Good luck.
Jim
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
Paul

1979 29' Ambassador
Woodinville , Washington
I had my hot water tank pilot go on and then when I set the temp it would go out..It turned out to be the controler in the hot water tank I bought a new one and it fixed the problem.. This all happend on a trip to Utah Last month... All is working well since replacing the controler
Old 06-22-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

by pass line

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsteader
I suggest you manually open the hot water relief valve which is located near to the top of the tank. Manually hold it open until water water comes out of the valve, then release it.

If you are not getting any water there, then check your by pass line to verify you are NOT by passing the tank. Its possible you are still by passing the tank when it was winterized.

Good luck.
Jim
thanks for the reply not sure which line is the by pass one. i manually opened the relief on top of tank a little hot water came out ,also on bottom little drain valve.but still had no water at any taps? cheers
Old 06-22-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

pressure at the faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Is your tank vented and full of water? Do you have any pressure out of the hot water faucet? Need more info............
hi also thanks for replying , no pressure at any taps ,sink bath or wash basin .noticed a little red light to left of the tank near the top was not lit nor could i get it to come on ,checked pressure relief manually and some warm water trickled out when raising it.how else can i see if tank is full ?the water is connected to the rear at the bumper inlet from mains. also tried opening all hot taps same time to poss bleed any air no joy ??? hope this is of more help.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:55 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Or are you saying you can't keep the burner lit?

Jack
hi no the pilot lights then turning it to on the boiler springs into life and runs . but dont seem to get hot water from the taps they are the mixer type not individual hot and cold ones. cant test anything yet as im back in the uk but want to be able to get it fixed on my return in sept ... cheers steve
Old 06-22-2005, 04:19 PM   #10

Fenton , Missouri
If you have a bypass, you will have three valves to turn. One valve controls cold water coming into the tank. Another is on the output or hot side. The final valve allows the cold water to bypass the tank and reenter into the water system.

The sequence of events is when winterizing, cold water closed, hot water closed, bypass open. Opposite when running in normal mode.

If either the cold water or hot water valves are closed, you will get no hot water.

So how do you know whether they are open or closed? If the knobs on the valves are long and narrow, a valve being open pretty much finds the knob is in line (or parallel) with the water line it controls. When a valve is closed the knob is perpendicular to the water line it controls.

Just look at the water heater and the pipes going in and out of it. It will all make sense.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-22-2005, 06:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Same thing happened to me the year I forgot to switch the by pass valves around (after the winter). Hopefully your solution will be that simple!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:04 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Same thing happened to me the year I forgot to switch the by pass valves around (after the winter). Hopefully your solution will be that simple!
thanks ill put that on the list of things to check
Old 06-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

water help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
If you have a bypass, you will have three valves to turn. One valve controls cold water coming into the tank. Another is on the output or hot side. The final valve allows the cold water to bypass the tank and reenter into the water system.

The sequence of events is when winterizing, cold water closed, hot water closed, bypass open. Opposite when running in normal mode.

If either the cold water or hot water valves are closed, you will get no hot water.

So how do you know whether they are open or closed? If the knobs on the valves are long and narrow, a valve being open pretty much finds the knob is in line (or parallel) with the water line it controls. When a valve is closed the knob is perpendicular to the water line it controls.

Just look at the water heater and the pipes going in and out of it. It will all make sense.

Jack
hi i noticed at the rear left by bumper, inside of locker 2 valves not three but when i opened those water exited them from underneath. found a set of three valves under fron sinktwo at roughly floor height and one below it on its own . the same thing happened when i opened those,what looked like fresh clear water came out , im new to all this so not knowing, anything about airstreams im still learning ,, thank goodness for the net and all who help on here ! cheers steve
Old 06-27-2005, 09:48 AM   #14

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
hi i noticed at the rear left by bumper, inside of locker 2 valves not three but when i opened those water exited them from underneath. found a set of three valves under fron sinktwo at roughly floor height and one below it on its own . the same thing happened when i opened those,what looked like fresh clear water came out , im new to all this so not knowing, anything about airstreams im still learning ,, thank goodness for the net and all who help on here ! cheers steve
I'm no expert on the older trailers so I'm not sure about your configuration. The three valves under the sink are most likely your bypass. The one's inside the outside locker are not clear to me. I remember my '01 Safari had a valve that was inside the rear compartment. They told me it was a way to dump off water pressure from the system between the water pressure regulator and the city water hookup. On my Classic I have a one outside valve in the compartment which contains the tank rinse and the city water hookup. That valve allows you to hook up an external water hose for rinising feet etc.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-27-2005, 10:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Water drain valves.

The Welshman

The three valves under the galley, are all drain valves.

One drains the cold water line, another drains the hot water line, and the third drains the water tank.

I might suggest that you get a "service manual" for your 73. It will answer many questions that you have, or will have.

You can obtain a manual from Helen Davis at 937-4928885.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:04 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

water help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
The Welshman

The three valves under the galley, are all drain valves.

One drains the cold water line, another drains the hot water line, and the third drains the water tank.

I might suggest that you get a "service manual" for your 73. It will answer many questions that you have, or will have.

You can obtain a manual from Helen Davis at 937-4928885.

Andy
thanks for the reply ill be in touch. cheers steve