Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2002, 07:44 AM   #1

Question Water Heater Replacement

I own a 1976 Airstream International rear bath trailer which has a leaky hot water tank. The heater is a Bowen G-10-B. The height of the compartment entrance is 16 1/4", the width is 16". Depth is about 16" at the top, and curves around to about 20". I need to replace the heater.

I checked with some local dealers in my home town and all say that Atwood-Bowen no longer makes this unit.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Robert
rpwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #2

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
I've been helping my parents search for a new RV and there is a place near us called Colonial. They have a section on their site dedicated to parts. Maybe they have something that will help you?? They have a bunch of stuff on there. I am not super knowledgeable on parts as I am still learning but check it out. I hope this helps! Colonial Airstream - New Jersey Airstream, Parts, New, Used, Wholesale, Retail, Travel Trailer
RoxanneQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwx View Post
I own a 1976 Airstream International rear bath trailer which has a leaky hot water tank. The heater is a Bowen G-10-B. The height of the compartment entrance is 16 1/4", the width is 16". Depth is about 16" at the top, and curves around to about 20". I need to replace the heater.

I checked with some local dealers in my home town and all say that Atwood-Bowen no longer makes this unit.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Robert
Bowen was bought by Atwood, but the Atwood appears to be easily found. Camping World for example, has the 10 gallon one on sale.

Atwood Water Heater - 10 gal LP - Atwood Mobile 94180 - Water Heaters - Camping World

However, their website also says that inventory is tight. Call around, you'll find them. I would buy the version that has the remote ignition (you can turn it on and off from in the trailer).

Note: you may very well find that the gas supply comes in at a different spot on the water heater, and the the trim at the bottom of the opening needs to be removed; they didn't stay unchanged over the last 40 years.

ps: they are water heaters. Not 'hot' water heaters. Why would you heat hot water?