Old 10-03-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
San Rafael , California
Hot water heater does not work

Hello! I have a question about water heater. We have a new 2009, 20 flying cloud. Great rig we've been dreaming to own for many years. Finally we bought one. Everything works great except the heater?! It has electronic ignition switch in the bathroom. All tanks are full. The LP valves are open, all appliances are in good working order, bypass valve closed. And still no hot water?! The water flows normally from the hot side of the faucet . The red light goes on and off three times and when its off I can hear that the spark tries to ignite, but then the light on the electronic switch( in the bathroom) goes on and after that nothing happens it stays on. It seems like the gas from LP Bottles is not getting to the spark. Please help, maybe there is another gas valve somewhere? Or maybe it is a factory defect or something else. I am new to the airstream. Dmitry

Old 10-03-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
When the red light is on, it indicates that the heater did not light. It will come on when you first turn on the switch but in a moment it should go off and stay off.

When ever I turn on the gas in my 20', I immediately light the stove as it is farthest from the LP tanks. It take a while for the air to be purged and the stove to light. Then my water heater, heat and refrigerator all light on the first try.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMPOTA s View Post
Hello! I have a question about water heater. We have a new 2009, 20 flying cloud. Great rig we've been dreaming to own for many years. Finally we bought one. Everything works great except the heater?! It has electronic ignition switch in the bathroom. All tanks are full. The LP valves are open, all appliances are in good working order, bypass valve closed. [And still no hot water?! The water flows normally from the hot side of the faucet . The red light goes on and off three times and when its off I can hear that the spark tries to ignite, but then the light on the electronic switch( in the bathroom) goes on and after that nothing happens it stays on. It seems like the gas from LP Bottles is not getting to the spark. Please help, maybe there is another gas valve somewhere? Or maybe it is a factory defect or something else. I am new to the airstream. Dmitry
Look underneath the trailer.

There could be a manual LPG shut off valve for the water heater.

Andy
Old 10-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
1995 34' Limited
Crestwood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMPOTA s View Post
Hello! I have a question about water heater. We have a new 2009, 20 flying cloud. Great rig we've been dreaming to own for many years. Finally we bought one. Everything works great except the heater?! It has electronic ignition switch in the bathroom. All tanks are full. The LP valves are open, all appliances are in good working order, bypass valve closed. And still no hot water?! The water flows normally from the hot side of the faucet . The red light goes on and off three times and when its off I can hear that the spark tries to ignite, but then the light on the electronic switch( in the bathroom) goes on and after that nothing happens it stays on. It seems like the gas from LP Bottles is not getting to the spark. Please help, maybe there is another gas valve somewhere? Or maybe it is a factory defect or something else. I am new to the airstream. Dmitry
When you arrive at your campsite, I would also suggest you light your stove first to get the gas purged before you flip the switch for the HWH. It helps to get the gas flowing. If that doesn't work and your red light continues to come on I would take it back to the dealer. You could have a defective spark probe.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
heater woes

If your WH is an Atwood, get a "Thermal Cutoff Service Kit" from your dealer or Camping World. Simple little fix, pull old one out, plug new one in. Mine did the exact thing you are describing last year. Part cost is about $20. And thanks to Doug at AS of Spokane for telling me about this. Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
New Bern , North Carolina
Question

My question is even easier. I've removed the propane entirely. There is 115v to the 2 wires to the hot water element and, there is electrical continuity through the element, yet the hot water never seems to happen. How long should it take for the hot water to become hot?
gowansg@suddenlink.net
Old 10-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasafari View Post
If your WH is an Atwood, get a "Thermal Cutoff Service Kit" from your dealer or Camping World. Simple little fix, pull old one out, plug new one in. Mine did the exact thing you are describing last year. Part cost is about $20. And thanks to Doug at AS of Spokane for telling me about this. Hope this helps.
Hi, like this. Mine blew it twice in five years. You can by-pass this for a test to see if it will light by plugging the brown wire with white tracer in directly. If the flame is not adjusted properly or spiders are blocking the tubes, it will flare-up and blow the Thermister. You need this to protect your system, so by-pass only to test it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0099 (Large).JPG
Views:	183
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	89136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103 (Large).JPG
Views:	90
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	89137  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
New Bern , North Carolina
I tested the hot water system today by putting the heating element in a small jar of water and it heated the water to almost boiling in 45 sec. When I screwed it back in, filled the tank, connected the wires and flipped the switch, I got slightly warmer water after 1 1/2 hrs. I know the element is working but it shouldn't take that long. Although I let the water run to get the air out of the line, each time I tried the hot water there was air in the line again. I'm sure there is no leak. I'm still puzzled at why it takes so long to heat the water so slightly.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
water heater-sporadic

switch in bathroom to turn on...turns on, red light comes on and goes off...heater can be heard to light and to continue to burn....wind seems to have some affect..but burner ignites and a greenish big flame can be seen if access door is opened...but no hot water...sometimes it works like a charm...other times it only gets lukewarm...propane tanks full..etc, etc...
really sporatic...somtimes it works and gets scalding hot and then other times...just lukewarm...... any thoughts
Old 02-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I have a couple thoughts. If the bypass valves are open the wrong way on the water heater, you could heat the water, but only part of it will get to the faucet. Or, the mixing valve could be bad in the faucet. Try running some hot water in the sink, and feel the water lines to see if they're hot. If they're hot, but the water coming out of the faucet isn't, it's probably the valve.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, also it depends on the cold water you are mixing with the hot, especially in the shower. In hot weather, my shower control is close to the cold side and in really cold weather my shower valve is almost all the way to the hot side. Same as in my home, but not as drastic of a difference.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
no hot water

by pass valves are not the issue...one day i have hot water...next day...or later that same day i have no hot water...not in sink....not in lav....not in shower....burner lights and has a greenish flame.......water gets lukewrm...no hot????????

thanks for the replies so far.....wife is not happy.....no hot water