Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
TnVolGuy

1983 31' Excella
Cordova , Tennessee
Send a message via Skype™ to trmiller
Hot Water heater

I have noticed the past 2 trips that I am getting black soot out of the hot water heater exhaust. Has anyone had this issue and how did you correct it?
trmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
******This situation strongly suggests that something has altered the air/fuel mixture of your water heater burner. If nothing physical has occurred, such as removing and replacing the appliance, then the problem is most likely an obstruction of some sort that is preventing the proper mix of the LPG and the required air supply. Most often this happens when insects build a nest or web inside the burner tube. Another possibility is that the orifice has become partially obstructed, due to contaminates in the propane supply.

******First, remove the burner tube by taking out the hex-head screw that holds the burner assembly to the water heater. This is located just above where the flame is. Clean out the burner tube with a brush or compressed air and make sure that the flame deflector that is located on the end of the burner tube is square to the tube and aligned properly.

******The orifice is located on the gas valve, where the burner tube slips on. There is a small hex-head "nut" here with a very tiny hole in it. Clean it with alcohol and let it air dry. Do not poke anything through the opening as this will distort the proportions of the calibrated hole and result in an erratic burn characteristic.

******Once this is done, reassemble everything, and test fire the water heater. The burner flame should be mostly an "aggressive" blue color, with little or no yellow in it, and should have a mild roaring sound to it. If this does not fix the problem, then see a qualified LPG technician - you have other problems.

******The "soot" is unburned carbon and along with this you have carbon monoxide production. I would advise you to not use this appliance until the defect is remedied.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
TnVolGuy

1983 31' Excella
Cordova , Tennessee
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll do this today!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
TnVolGuy

1983 31' Excella
Cordova , Tennessee
Dwight your advise was right on target. Put it all back together and working just right with a nice blue flame. Thank you again for your help!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Dirt dobbers, wasps, or spiders building nests blocking the air, or was it the orifice?
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Need help ASAP

I have a 1972 Argosy and the hot water heater thermoscat does not have any red caps that as my home hot water tanks have to push down for a few seconds to lite the pilot lite .
All it has is just a thermoscat with a slide arm in behind itthat will slid letf or right for hot or hotter .
I Do not understand how to keep propane their untill the pilot light stays lite.

Now reminber this is a 1972????????
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote