Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #1

1971 25' Caravanner
ANTIOCH , Illinois
Hot water heater

I have a 1971 caravanner that I'm in the process of fixing up. I have started to look at the LP system and have determined that I will need a new water heater. I have removed the 30 screws around the out side cover, and remover the water lines. The water heater still won't budge??? Has anyone removed one and what am I missing???
MH AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Is it bolted or screwed to the floor?
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Make sure you also disconnect the propane line! Once you have removed all the screws, it should come out, however depending on what the heater was sealed into place with, it may take some pulling. Mine was sealed with plumbers putty, but if they used silicone, it might be pretty hard to pull out.
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I just removed all the screws from the outside of water heater, and its lose. Once I remove the gas line, mine will slide right out. It doesn't seem to be sealed or caulked to the skin at all, which is kind of disappointing. I think it's original, but I'm not sure. But, doesn't really matter as it's coming out and getting pitched. I did need to remove the rub rail to remove the water heater - maybe yours is hung up on that.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I just pulled a HWH out of my "new to me" '75 Trade Wind the other day. I had the same issue of not being able to get it to budge, so I gave it a little push from the inside and it poped loose. Mine was sealed to the outside wall pretty good with weatherstripping and caulk. My HWH is located right under the sink so I was able to easily access the back of it from inside.

If you haven't ordered a new one yet, check out AdventureRV they have some really great prices and if you order online it is really quick. I ordered a replacement (doesn't include a new door, didn't care as I will use my current stainless one) 6gal Atwood with elecronic ignition for $379, plus ~$30 shipping, and no tax (if not in Tennessee). My local RV dealer that I normally purchase items from was $550 not counting 6% tax (their's included a door, again didn't care). I ordered it on Monday and it was at my door yesterday (Thursday.)

I also just purchased a new Intellipower 9200 converter from my local dealer last week for $250. When I ordered my HWH on Monday, Adventure RV had the same one listed for $150!

Good luck,
Eric
Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #6

1971 25' Caravanner
ANTIOCH , Illinois
Thanks!! good advice from all.
MH AIR is offline   Reply With Quote