Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sac City , Iowa
Hot Water Heater

On a recent road trip with our 25’ 2004 AS, the hot water heater failed to ignite. The switch is in the bathroom alongside a light. When the heater is on, in the past, the light is on also. However, when i turned on the hot water heater switch, that little red light does not come on. Would that have anything to do or indication of what the problem might be? This is gas I am talking about...since we’ve had the trailer, we’ve never used it hooked to electricity...my husband says it can’t? I would appreciate any suggestions someone might be able to offer! Thanks!
Itsatruly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The little red light should come on until the electronic igniter lights your burner if you are running on propane. Then it goes off.
Don't think you have a problem,
Hope this helps.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ken, are you sure that applies to a 2004 model? I think some older Airstreams kept the red light on if the "water heater" was on and firing correctly.

Itsatruly, are you not getting hot water? [and welcome to the forum!] What does your owner's manual say?

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hmmm. It was true in my 2000 and my 2007.
But I cannot be positive about the 2004. I never owned one of those
(It was also true in my 1966, but that was a replacement, not OEM.)
This could prove the rule that I am often wrong, but never without an opinion.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sac City , Iowa
Question Hot Water Heater

Peter, no we have no hot water. I might add a second issue...if I turn on the water at the kitchen or bathroom sinks, it comes spraying out of the shower head!!
Old 08-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Kindly Answer the Following Questions:

1. Was your water heater working normally on your first night out?
2. How many nights did it work before?
3. When you say you have no hot water, do you have a normal flow of unheated water from the hot and cold faucet positions?
4. Was this your first trip of this camping season?
5. Had you drained and by-passed the water heater last fall?
6. Did you "un-by-pass" and fill the water heater before your trip?
7. WHen water shoots from the shower head, is the shower faucet open or closed?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sac City , Iowa
Hot Water Heater

Alumaholic...this was our first trip out this season, and the hot water heater worked fine last fall before we winterized it. And, yes, last fall we drained and by-passed the hot water heater. As to the “un-bypass,” my husband said, “...the best he could?” He seemed to think the plastic valve had been tightened too much at some point? Lastly, the shower faucet is closed when water sprays out.

Did I make it clear that the hot water heater fails to ignite when the switch is turned on?

Thanks for your interest! (Hubby frustrated and talking about going simple with a converted cargo trailer!)
Old 08-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply. I'm thinking you should be happy your water heater wouldn't ignite.
Before each camping season you must fill the water heater with water. To do this you must (1) open the cold-water inlet valve and 920 Open the hot-water outlet valve and (3) Close the By-Pass valve itself.
Note: This is for the three-valve by-pass system. I am told Airstream has gone to a One-Valve system.
Only when you have confirmed the tank is full should you ignite the burner.
It sounds like you are still in by-pass mode and the tanks never filled.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:52 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
And, if you turned the water heater on before filling it with water, there is a good chance that the heating elements are toast, literally.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sac City , Iowa
Hot Water Heater

My husband insists he had filled the hot water heater. He’s always cautioned me to never turn it on unless water is in it. Now I’m wondering...is there a gauge...how do I know if there is water in it, other than him telling me there is?
Old 08-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Filling the Water Heater and Confirming Fullness

Once the owner operator has un-bypassed the H2O heater.
Method A Connected by drinking water hose to a potable municipal water source.
(1) Turn ON the water faucet at the source
(2) As the water system in the Airstream pressurizes, open the exterior access door on the H2O heater and confirm by sound that the tank is filling.
(3) OPEN the pressure relief valve to allow air to escape the tank as the water flows in.
(4) CLOSE the pressure-relief valve when water begins to come out instead of air.
Method B with no access to a municipal water source.
(1) Fill the fresh-water tank with potable water.
(2) Turn ON the water pump and listen as it pressurizes the water system.
Complete steps (3) and (4) above.
Now obviously you can accomplish the same thing by opening a hot water faucet in the Airstream, but only if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are not still in a by-pass mode.
Seeing water come out the pressure-relief valve on the H2O heater is the only sure way to confirm it is full.
All this should be done the first time each season with the faucet aerators removed.
Hope this helps!
Old 08-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Going over to the other part of the question - the one about the shower head ....

Fiddling water at the kitchen or bathroom sink should have no impact at all on the shower.

There are two ways you can turn on the sinks. One is by the faucet. The other is by the valves under the sink. There should be no need ever to play with the valves under the sink or the similar valves going to the toilet. They should stay on all the time.

So - are you playing with the faucets or the valves under the sinks? It should make no difference, but it's a start in the troubleshooting process.

Also - is it constant water or just a "burp" when the pressure changes? Again only a troubleshooting question.

With the shower faucet / valve closed, you never should have water coming out of the shower head. That's regardless of anything else going on. If you do have water, it's a pretty good bet the valve is clogged with crud or broken. Flushing it out for a while might address the crud. Taking it apart would certainly address a crud issue. If it had a bit of water in it and froze, the only answer is to replace it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Never seen a hot water heater. I have seen a water heater though. Sorry! Could not help myself.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Water Heater On/Off Switch

Just got back from the Airstream Dealer. The technician confirmed that in the propane mode of operation, When the heater is switched ON, the red light will come ON and stay on until the propane burner lights, at which time the light will go OFF
If the water heater loses flame, the red light will come ON as it attempts to reignite the flame. If the heater fails to reignite, the ignition sequence will terminate and the red light will stay ON.

In other words the red light next to the water heater switch is there to warn you that that the water is not yet ignited or has lost flame.

A good way to see how this works is to turn on your water heater (Yes, a painful topic for Itsatruly). See the red light come on, listen for ignition, see the red light go off... Now have someone turn off the propane tank. You will hear the water heater flame out, you will see the red light come on, and you will hear the water heater attempting to reignite.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sac City , Iowa
Hot Water Heater

Thank you...you are too kind! But, back to my very first post, the red light has never come on when I turn on the hot water switch. And I had wondered if that might be an indicator of the problem. But, the good news is...this little Airstream is off to the RV hospital Saturday! It has numerous “health” issues!

Again, thanks for your comments and help. I’ll let you know what the “doc” says!