Old 04-27-2004, 08:27 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
New Water Heater With AC

Last year my water heater failed the date on it 1982 so don't feel to bad other than cleaning up the water. any how i just ordered a new water heater after reading some posts i went with a 10 gallon Atwood to replace the one that was there. this time i opted to get one with LP and AC my question, is there any thing special i should now about AS wiring the fuse panel is directly above the water heater and i am very knowlegeable when it comes to home wiring but recall when doing some wiring is some of my previous boats things where a little different. that whole moving bouncing thing i guess.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFighter
is there any thing special i should now about AS wiring
Keep neutral and ground isolated, other than that it is pretty much the same.

John

Old 04-27-2004, 08:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFighter
...my question, is there any thing special i should now about AS wiring the fuse panel is directly above the water heater and i am very knowlegeable when it comes to home wiring ...
If you are comfortable with home wiring, you should be in good shape for the project. The only thing that pops to mind is your total current rating. If your Airstream has a 30 amp service, you may want to be careful about running the air conditioner and water heater at the same time.

Just a thought,
Tom
Old 04-27-2004, 08:45 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
30 amp service

i understand this but aren't Travel trailers limited to 30 amp services as that is what is available at camp grounds? excuse my limited knowledge here but how do all of the new TT's have both of these? just trying to understand

thanks for the information every one.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
It has been my observation that the standard is now a 50 amp service. Hopefully, more seasoned campers will confirm that better and/or new campgrounds offer 50A & 30A service at their sites.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:07 AM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Just out of curiosity, what do you people with new AS have to do to light your hot water heater, furnace, etc? Do you just push a button and it happens? Do only us vintage owners have to sit outside in the rain lighting water heaters, and lay on our bellies in the tub lighting furnaces?
The new models have electronic ignition, which means no standing pilot light. You basicly just flip a switch on in the bathroom and that energizes the system. When water temp gets low, a sparker ignites the gas.

Some units also have a built in electric heater also. This is an additional switch in the bathroom that energizes this circuit. My '01 Safari was gas only. My '04 Classic is gas and electric.

With the heat pump/AC and electric water heater, my LP usage is pretty minimal.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:55 AM   #21
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Time and other things

I will get to install my 24" thermocouple after the weekend of May 8. It's just the limited time that I have. I will let you all know what happens.

On the 30 amps.......... run your water heater on gas when the A/C is on. The other solution (used in boats too) is to split the circuits and have two 30 amp circuits and two plugs. Kind of a pain. A "Y" cord can be used when only one plug in is available. Then you ned to make sure you have adiquate circuit protection. I forget where to use stranded wire or solid for moving circuits. I am thinking stranded wire is a better option. It flexes and will not break all of a sudden. (Causing a fire) Yes I am sure that stranded wire is used in boats for the AC side for that very reason.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-18-2004, 03:58 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

electronic ignition Q&A

Lucky me, since you are online now, Jack:

When we replace our hot water heater, I assume we want electronic ignition because it will be safer than a pilot? Is that correct? And does it work like a gas kitchen stove I used to have; you flip a crank or switch and a spark appears at the same time the gas comes on? So I wouldn't need an electrical hookup to use electronic ignition?

Thanks in advance,

Connie
Old 08-18-2004, 04:20 PM   #23
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
The DSI water heater will require a 12VDC hookup. The power is turned on form the inside of the coach and there is a PC board that has a spark system to lite the heater. This allows you to lite it, wait 15 min, take your shower and turn it off if you wish, all from inside. It also will relight it if the wind blows out the burner. No standing pilot to go out in the middle of the night either.

You will need 3 wires to the heater and a 12 volt feed and ground to the switch. Stranded wire is better in a mobile installation for this kind of install. I used a good section of an old 15 amp 3 wire extension cord when I installed mine.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:00 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Connie,
Since we have the electric element also in our Classic, we only flip on the switch for gas when we shower. That gives us the extra heat gain that keeps the shower water hot. Once done, we turn it off and let the electrical element take care of our needs.

On my '01 Safari which was gas only, we flipped the switch for gas igniter when we got parked. We shut it off upon departure. The main burner would ignite by spark whenever the thermostat detected the need to heat the water. You do not have to throw the switch every time you want hot water heater to ignite. The thermostat takes care of that. The switch is to energize the "electronics".

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #25

2004 16' International CCD
Scituate , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
The new models have electronic ignition, which means no standing pilot light. You basicly just flip a switch on in the bathroom and that energizes the system.
Ok, dumb question. Where would I find that in a 16" Int'l CCD? Is it the illuminated button next to the sink? I tried that and the "pump" button but never got any hot water. The gas was on and electric hooked up.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Jenna, not a silly question,,, in the 2004 ccd,,, the button for the water heater is located underneath the pump row of buttons,,, and is a single button all by itself,,,, light will glow red,,,, you will hear the propane fire and the tank fill,,, now you will have hot water,,, best,,, dieterdog