Old 10-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Hot Water Bypass - '90 Excella 25'

This is pretty specific and a long-shot, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm getting ready to winterize my new-to-me '90 Excella 25'. The options sheet says it has a hot water heater bypass. I have searched every nook and cranny in that trailer (getting well acquainted) and I can't find it. I have also searched high and low on this forum for clues and have come up empty.

The only thing that I have found that appears to be a shut-off valve us in the aft street side compartment where the city water enters. It's mounted as part of a T and does have a smudge of red paint on it. I thought it was what I was looking for so I tested it by hooking up the city water, opening the drain plug on the hot water heater, and turning the water on. Water gushed through the water heater in both valve positions. I'm thinking maybe this shut-off is for using city water without filling the fresh water tank?

I'm OK with filling the hot water with 6 gallons of antifreeze if I have to as I can retrieve it when I unwinterize and use it again, but I'd sure rather not. I'd like to make a bypass if there isn't one, but I haven't figured out the plumbing. I'm hopng someone with a similar vintage trailer might be able to help.

Poppy

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Poppy,
Don't waste 6 plus gallons of RV antifreeze. Here's what the water heater bypass looks like on my 1991 34' trailer. The valve will be right by the water heater which probably in the bathroom.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The anti freeze may inter act with the metal water heater tank. There have been cases where the smell of rotten eggs persists, even after several flushings of the water heater.
It is better to bypass the water heater.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
My preference on winterizing is to:
1. Dump the black and grey tanks
2. Flush the black water tank and dump again
3. Drain the fresh water tank and the hot water heater
4. Run the 12 volt water pump to purge it of moisture
5. Blow the system out with compressed air if you have it (set air pressure regulator to about 40 PSI). Then put about a cup of RV antifreeze in all drain traps.

Steve
Old 10-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Steve & TG...

Thanks for the input. Must be a big difference between the 25' and the 34' as I don't have anything like that under my sink. I've looked everywhere and I'm sure I don't have a bypass. I will install one eventually but until I do I'm going to use the compressed air approach.

BTW, our high here Sunday is forecast at 68, high on Monday 38 with Monday night overnight low in the teens. Definitely time to winterize!

Popy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Bypass valve

Hello Birdmaestro.
On my 1988 25' center bath twin, the bypass valve is in the street side rear compartment along with the city water filter. If your 90 is like mine, if you lift up the street side under storage bed you will see the water heater with the bypass valve on one side of it. Good luck
nm1oqrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
This is pretty specific and a long-shot, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm getting ready to winterize my new-to-me '90 Excella 25'. The options sheet says it has a hot water heater bypass. I have searched every nook and cranny in that trailer (getting well acquainted) and I can't find it. I have also searched high and low on this forum for clues and have come up empty.

The only thing that I have found that appears to be a shut-off valve us in the aft street side compartment where the city water enters. It's mounted as part of a T and does have a smudge of red paint on it. I thought it was what I was looking for so I tested it by hooking up the city water, opening the drain plug on the hot water heater, and turning the water on. Water gushed through the water heater in both valve positions. I'm thinking maybe this shut-off is for using city water without filling the fresh water tank?

I'm OK with filling the hot water with 6 gallons of antifreeze if I have to as I can retrieve it when I unwinterize and use it again, but I'd sure rather not. I'd like to make a bypass if there isn't one, but I haven't figured out the plumbing. I'm hopng someone with a similar vintage trailer might be able to help.

Poppy