Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 06:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Louisa Va , Virginia
Hot Water

Thoughts on electric on demand hot water. Pro's and con's.

Thanks George 1968 Globetrotter Resto in progress
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Thoughts on electric on demand hot water. Pro's and con's.

Thanks George 1968 Globetrotter Resto in progress
I choose to go with the Hott Rod conversion for my 1985 Sovereign with a 6 gallon water tank, seems to do the trick, spacing out showers. Ebay, $99, Camping World a little more.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The 30 amp 120 volt power system in your Airstream is not anywhere large enough to supply the energy needed for an on demand electric water heater.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Sovereign
Lovettsville , Virginia
idroba is correct; an electric on-demand water heater is not feasible with the standard electric wiring for an Airstream. You would have to re-engineer and replace everything from the water heater, wiring, circuit breaker and panel, all the way to the power plug for the trailer.

There are propane options for tankless on-demand water heaters, but you will pay more for one versus a standard water heater with a tank. Depending on usage, over a long period of time, you could see a return on the cost of propane, but it would take a while.
85 Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
This is one of those "to each his own" kind of things. I personally would not want to change anything over to electric only. Some people take out the fridge and put in an electric one. When doing something like this you are committing to a total hookup dependency. Resale will become a bit more difficult.
The new heaters are pretty good. I like our set up and would not change over to a tankles system. Just me talking.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Louisa Va , Virginia
We have another camper for boon docking . This unit totally stripped going to make it a plug and play no propane no fresh water tank . I want to maximize space and simplicity . Keeping up with all the components for boon docking on my other camper is enough exspenses. We have had this Globtotter over 10 yrs and I am finally getting around to work on it. Interior completely gone with the exception of the fridge and hot water tank. Bathroom still intact and believe it can be salvaged and usable. Get this for the heck of it after pulling fridge I wired it up and it runs like a charm I question myself if I re-use it or replace with a electric new model.
I will say camper well constructed I have replaced all but one glass that previously had old plexiglass screwed in the frames. I had to buy a lot of hardware but have them functioning like they were originally. Ok I know I'm rattling on enough but it's neat to work on something that was constructed to last versus whats in the market today. Thanks for the responses George
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote