Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hot H2O Burner Cuts Off-Restarts

Hi,
On my 1996 Sovereign my hot water heater burner cuts off sometimes before the water is really hot. Also, it seems to have a hard time starting and I hear it clicking away before it starts up. While in action heating water, before cutting off, it seems to close down and gets real quiet. Then sometimes it goes out and tries to restart (click, click, click), or it will roar back into action and sound normal. Any ideas about what to do? I figure my problem is either with the thermostat or the burner mechanism, but I'm just floundering in the dark here. Thanks in advance for any ideas. Nick
Nicksut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
check the tightness of the mounting screws on the brain box, in particular the one with the ground wire.

might solve your problem, it did for me!

john
Old 06-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I'm having the same problem with my Safari. I'll be watching this thread for replies.
Hugh & Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Also pull the main electrical connector and clean the contacts. See if you can find some contact cleaner at Radio Shack, or try an emery board for the famale part and gentle action on the strip with fine sand paper. Our 96 was acting flaky and that cured the problem.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
balky burner

You may well have a bad capacitor on the PC board. You can have a radio shop check it and replace it, if you aren't familiar. You can change out the board, but it costs more.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

[quote=sander17]Also pull the main electrical connector and clean the contacts. [quote]

What is the main electrical connector? The wire going to the sparker? I suspect you mean the wire that powers the whole thermostat and ignition system... hmmmm I guess I can figure out which that is.

Another query: The burner makes a lot of noise, but if I close down the air intake it makes less noise. How do you determine the correct amount of air? I live at 8300 ft, so I would guess I need a wider opening.

Yet another query: Noticed water in the burner pipe. Is this normal? At first I was alarmed, but now that I think about it, I suspect it's condensation.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'll try everything and hopefully something will work! Cheers, Nick
Nicksut is offline   Reply With Quote