Old 12-10-2003, 11:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Readability

My only quarrel with the current electronic thermostat is that the LCD display is very hard to read without a lot of ambient light. The temperature is in nice, big, easy to read digits, but the mode is in tiny unreadable letters. In dim light, my eyes sure aren't what they used to be.

At first, I fished out the flashlight to better read the mode, but now that I have memorized the sequence, I can get into the right mode a lot more easily. I simply remember the order of the modes and that air cond and heat pump are two words and the rest of the modes are single words.

It is neat that there is a built-in delay so that one can step through without things coming on or turning off as you go.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
My big gripe with it is that it doesn't display the actual interior temperature in addition to the setting.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingMoe
My big gripe with it is that it doesn't display the actual interior temperature in addition to the setting.
I hadn't thought of that, but it would be very nice, especially if the numbers were nice and large like the temperature setting.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:45 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Our '99 Excella's manuals say that the heat pump will cut over at 40F. But I haven't been in it at anywhere near that temp yet to see what actually happens.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The Mystery Continues!

I just got an E-mail back from Airstream's Customer Service Representative in answer to my question. Airstream says that the heat pump on my 2000 Excella will turn off at 24 degrees and switch to the furnace ---- then at 34 degrees it will change back to the heat pump. Not that it really matters a whole lot - but us bedazzeled engineering types really puzzle over different "factoids" like we've encountered so far in this string! The telephone number for Dometic, to request a manual, is:
1-800-544-4881.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 03:46 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: The Mystery Continues!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cracker
I just got an E-mail back from Airstream's Customer Service Representative in answer to my question. Airstream says that the heat pump on my 2000 Excella will turn off at 24 degrees and switch to the furnace ---- then at 34 degrees
I love this forum. I bet we have generated a dozen calls or emails to them and Dometic on this exact same topic. I got the same answer as above in an email response from Airstream. Obviously Airstream's tech support on the cutoff temperatures differs greatly from the manufacturer of the equipment, which also differs from what my dealer advised. I guess we will see what the manual says and go from there.

I'm putting an indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer in the Classic to watch temperatures. First because it has a large display and is easily read. Secondly its because of the positioning of the thermostat. Unfortunately the wall they mounted the thermostat on is one side of the compartment that envelops the refrigerator. I remember this with the Safari that when the fridge was in use the actual temperature reading displayed on my Hunter digital thermostat was about 2 degrees higher than the inside of the trailer. Its just about impossible to keep some of that ambient heat within the fridge compartment from affecting the thermostat operation. Normally I had to make my heat set point 2 degrees warmer that what would have been expected to keep the inside comfortable. It wasn't a big deal but it was somewhat disconcerning in the summer to see the inside temperature display higher that it actually was in the trailer. I wonder if that is why they don't display the actual temperature on this unit?

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:00 PM   #21
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Jack,

I would assume that the thermostat does not have a calibration set pot. If it did then you could set it to allow for the increase from the radiant heat off the wall. Another option would be to remount the thermostat on a Isolator of some sort. Maybe pushing it 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the wall with some air space behind it. This way the radiant heat will not have a way to heat up the thermostat.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:10 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The digital Hunter I used was all of $18 at Walmart but was miles better than the Airstream supplied coil/magnet Atwood. Funny but the thermostat did have a standoff, but not obviously enough to compensate for the heat gain. Someone even suggested putting aluminum foil directly on the wall before mounting the standoff bracket. That didn't make any difference.

It will be interesting to see how this Dometic unit works once we put the refrigerator into operation this spring. I did pull the unit apart but really didn't see any type of adjustment......but then again there may be soft adjustments available. It just a matter of getting a manual and reading (assuming that is documented). I know the Hunter thermostat allowed a soft entry for the anticipator adjustment.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote