Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2003, 09:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

H2O replacement filter 1971

I'm still in the throes of acquisition of my 1971 Overlander, but expect to take possession next weekend.

At the moment, the stainless steel canister that holds the water filter (under galley sink) is disassembled.

Can someone point me to a good spot to buy the gasket, clamp, and water filter cartridge for this apparatus?

I don't have the old cartridge, so I've got no info to go on.

Thanks.

One other thing: Seller acidentally backed the A/S into a large stump, so there is a large dent in back bumper that interferes with the operation of the hinged access door back there.

Can I remove the bumper, pound it out, and re-install? How will that look? Anyone think I should replace it?

--Matthew
Roundhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Everpure

Matt,

Camping World sells the Everpure replacement cartridge's.

2 for $45-$50 Their order # 19269

Water treatment system order # 4140

www.campingworld.com

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
My units PO didn't winterize last year so the Everpure canister froze and got deformed to the point that it is unusable. So I bought a Culligan RV type filter a Lowes and installed it. It just filters sediment and has a carbon filter for taste. We bring bottled water for drinking and cooking anyway. I don't think I would drink the water out of the fresh tank, even if my trailer was brand spanking new.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Regarding the bumper, yes you can take it off and pound it out. The PO of my trailer caught the edge of the bumper and bent it out and downward. I took it off (4 bolts) and pounded it out with a rubber mallet. I then took an abrasive wheel and file and smoothed the whole surface. i was going to polish it, but it came out looking so nice as a brushed finish that I left it. It matched the unpolished (but still clearcoated) finish of my trailer much better.

Good Luck

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Hey, that's great, Tripp. Thanks.

I'll try the same.

It's a pretty good-sized piece of metal. I'm sure the replacement would not have been cheap.

I will also have re-rivet the lower decorative, blue-colored band. It popped loose when he hit the stump.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:04 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Back Bumper

On my first long trip, in Poteau, OK, an old lady driving a big old car backed out of a parking space and into my bumper. I was about 50 yards away and heard her hit and saw the trailer bounce.

Like Tripp, I removed the bumper and pounded it out using a block of oak and a mallet. On mine, there were 4 Phillips-head screws holding the bumper on. I had to use the largest screwdriver I own with a crescent wrench on the shaft for leverage to get the screws out. I used emery paper and then rubbing compound to smooth the surface.

I do have an area about the size of my hand that doesn't quite match the rest of the bumper, but it doesn't look bad. I see it because I know it is there. No one else has remarked on it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 02:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

John,

Thanks for more good news on this repair.

I saw the screws, too! Very large!

--Matthew
Old 02-17-2003, 02:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
The filter cartridges are out there but not sure if the Camping World 19269 is the correct cartridge for a 1971. Take it out and look for part/model number on the canister and go from there. I think the Everpure 150 was used also.
Here is what you want to avoid getting into your drinking cup! I split this SHURflo a couple of weeks ago because it stopped working. Duh, I wonder why. It is not out of my Airstream but one that I used to transfer water while dry camping. It too will get it’s own strainer/filter.
Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imag0001.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1506  
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 03:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Everpure

Is the Everpure filter just for the single glass faucet?

I drink bottle water, so I don't use it and don't want to waste money on something that I'm not going to use.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 04:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
John,
Yes it is. I have a 94 also and the water out of the small sink faucet is the only faucet that uses the filter. Not sure about the 71 in question though. The filtered water taste the same as bottled water to me.
Randy
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote