Old 11-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
The dual electric/propane water heater wasn't offered on our 2011 model. Not that it matters as it takes so little propane to heat and maintain six gallons of water that using electricity, even if it's from the campground, isn't going to save much. Mrs T likes to use the on-board shower when we're camping but I use the bath house facilities, having already paid for them. Sure, not all bath houses are great but if they're not good I can always revert to Mrs T's private shower room! Please note that we're not boondockers, nor are we likely to be given that we like our luxuries.

We do use a small portable electric cooking ring, though, rather than the propane powered range; that saves a little. It's only tripped the fuse once and that was when the AC and the microwave was running as well.

Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
I've only had the 2012 Airstream for about a month having traded in a class "B". My prior RV had a 6 gallon gas water heater and the showers were all short, navy style showers.

With the electric water heater in the A/S I feel as though we have unlimited hot water, well not really but I'm taking as long a shower as I want. Of course my class "B" also had a 12 gallon gray water tank and really that was the limiting factor for long showers, especially when boondocking.

Bottom line - I love the Airstream and am delighted to have the electric water heater.

"The bad news: there is no key to the universe.
The good news: it was never locked."
Swami Beyondananda
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have a 30 amp service on my 2005 Classic. Mine is only ever on propane in three instances:
  1. When I am boondocking or on a 3 amp hookup such as at Alumapalooza.
  2. When campground voltage is low.
  3. When I need hot water real fast from a cold tank (both electric and propane together).

I also use the WH on electric along with the AC/heat pump. I never blow a breaker as long as the campground voltage is in the green.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
But look on the bright side Fly, you got to sleep in your OWN bed last night..... :-)
Yes. The cardboard box under the overpass was a bit cold. I did not have electricity or propane.

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote