Old 05-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Grr... Should have been smarter!

We recently finished renovating our '79 Excella (about two years in the making) and have been using frequently over the last week.

One thing I noticed was that when taking showers the water would get hot, then cold, then hot, then cold... the cycle would continue like that until the end of the shower.

Long story short: I think I designed our plumbing system incorrectly.
Specifically, I chose the wrong kind of instant water heater for our system.

We purchased and installed a Girard GSWH-1M, which was the cheaper option compared to the Precision RV500 ($500 vs $1000 at the time). What I didn't fully grasp at the time was that the GSWH-1M has an untraditional way of controlling temperature... Controlling water involves turning on the hot water tap only and adjusting the flow of the water. The faster the flow, the lower the temperature. That is, you do NOT mix hot and cold to adjust the water temp.

Of course, what do I install in the shower? You guessed it: a single handle counter-clockwise style handle that mixes hot and cold to regulate temp. Doh! With this water heater, when you use the "mixing" type the process of mixing reduces the water flow rate through the water heater which increases the temperature of the water until it hits the temp limit switch and turns off until the water cools down enough to start heating it again. This is why I was experiencing the hot/cold cycle in the shower.

So yeah, I screwed up. Maybe someone will find this thread someday and it'll save them the head ache I currently have.

I've contacted the manufacturer to see if they can recommend a fix, but chances are unless we are willing to live with the undesirably hot/cold shower cycles we'll end up getting a 6 gallon tank heater or maybe the RV500 of it'll fit in the space needed (not likely).

Found these links to be helpful in my research:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...print/true.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/26231861.cfm

Old 05-28-2016, 11:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Why not go ahead and replace the one handled faucet with a 2 handled one? You could cover the center hole with some kind of soap dish or perhaps a grab bar.

Paula

Old 05-29-2016, 03:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Bummer. Missed that by using a PrecisionTemp that pretty much fit in the original 6 gallon Atwood opening. Needed about 1/4 inch more height over the Atwood.

Ours regulates temperature a bit better, but yeah, not cheap way to make DW happy.

I'd seriously consider replacing faucet....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
I talked to the manufacturer and they recommended I consider their GSWH-2 which highlights as one of it's main improvements over the 1M as being able to mix hot and cold at the faucet to adjust temperature (eliminates hot/cold cycling problem). From their website:

Quote:
We listened to our customers and incorporated everything they wanted into our new Tankless Water Heater. Endless Hot Water that is easy operate, turn on the Hot water and add cold water to the desired temperature.

They even offer upgrades for existing GSWH-1M owners to the GSWH-2 for a little more than half the retail cost (which I thought was nice).

When compared to the Precision Temp RV500, it looks like both GSWH-2 and the RV500 are designed to allow mixing hot and cold at the tap, however the RV500 allows for lower flow rates (0.5 gallons per minute compared to the GSWH-2's 0.7 before they turn off). The lower allowable flow rate is attractive to me as someone who plans to dry camp and wants to be setup to conserve water, however I'm not sure the 0.2 GPM difference is worth the $700 price difference between the RV500 (about $1,100) and the GSWH-2 (about $400 through upgrade offer).

Anyone had experience with Girard's GSWH-2? Not sure if we'll upgrade or just get used to the counter-intuitive behavior of our GSWH-1M, but would still appreciate any insights anyone has.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We installed the Truma AquaGo comfort in both the 23D and the31' Classic. It is much smaller than the stock Atwood six gallon unit. It is instant on and this model is freeze proof. It is made in Germany.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I had a similar problem taking my 71 out for the 1st time this year. I think the problem was I only opened one of two hot water bypass valves.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Most auto adjusting shower valves can be adjusted easily.

I adjusted mine all the way "hot" for use with my tankless, no more problems after that.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We installed the Truma AquaGo comfort in both the 23D and the31' Classic. It is much smaller than the stock Atwood six gallon unit. It is instant on and this model is freeze proof. It is made in Germany.

I am betting it is only "freeze proof" when hooked to electricity.

My (propane) tankless has several little ceramic "heaters" that are attached to the copper heat exchanger tubes that turn on when there is a danger of freezing.

My guess is that in most every case, it wont matter in AJ though.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Just for info the last precision temp I had was freeze proof on propane
Old 06-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Plus 12volt power available.

Ours took care of itself just fine during 28 or less degree weather. You do need to leave it turned on. I did hear it cycle at least once when it was real cold during a couple freezing nights in Northern Alabama and Texas.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Truma runs on Propane and uses 12Vdc for the logic board. There is a small recirculating system for the heating coil to keep it from freezing. The rest of the trailer plumbing still needs to be drained or filler with anti-freeze. The heater in our installations has the usual "H" valve configuration so it can be bypassed by the antifreeze. One can open a drain on the heater itself (not a plastic plug like the Atwoods have).

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote