Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
1975 20' Argosy 20
woking , surrey
got water!!! but not hot.....

Piecemeal engineering I think this is called?

So I have the waterpump issue resolved (new pump), filled the system with water, hot water taps have no air in them anymore, so I thought it best to test the water heater.

I can the pilot light to work (1/4 inch flame little yellow top), it actually also starts the burner, but than after 20-30 seconds the burner stops with a click and the pilot is dead as well.....

Does the burner actually needs to be on for 20-30 sec's cycles untill water is hot? If so why does the piloy die with it?

any suggestions?

thx

Wiebe
turfclubroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Make sure there is water in the water heater tank. From your previous thread about the water pump it sounds as if your trailer was winterized when you got it. That is why the water was pinkish.

There could be a valve or two that direct the water around the water heater (bypass). You can flip the pressure release on the water heater to see if you do have water pressurized in the tank.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
1975 20' Argosy 20
woking , surrey
If those valves, directing water around the water heater, are closed, would water still run from the warm water taps?
Furthermore: Say that the thermostate is the reason (reacting quicker as there might be no water in the tank, which I will check tomorrow morning) I still do not understand why the pilot goed dead together with the big flame...

thx

Wiebe
Old 08-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Water would still flow from the hot water taps if the water heater was bypassed. The pilot going out is another story. The thermocouple is the key to keeping the pilot flam going. It needs to be in the proper position and functioning. Was the pilot flame on when the heater was running? I have seen the flame go out when the burner turned on and then the burner shuts down, just like your also.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:05 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
1975 20' Argosy 20
woking , surrey
Water tank was not bypassed. Rgeardless I drained it and filled it again. Took the thermocouple and pilotflame burner out, cleaned of all corrosion, put back......

Same thing happened. Pilot flame comes on and stays on (More than a minute) which suggests to me that the thermocoupling is working (at least in so far as detecting the pilot flame). It also stays on when the burner starts. If shut the burner a couple of times by turning valve back to pilot, burner stops, pilot stays on. But when I leave burner on (pilot stays on) the thermostate will say click after a minute or so and both burner and pilot go out.

I have got the impression that the thermostate is shutting the gas supply 100% maybe because the big burner flame is not detected? The interesting thing is that if I relight the pilot immediately I still need to keep the valve open for some time for it to stay open.....

Suggestions?

thx

Wiebe
Old 08-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Neighbor at the camp ground had the same problem this weekend. Replaced the thermocouple - the pilot would light but as soon as the unit tried to fire the pilot went out.

He ended up going out an getting an entire new gas valve/thermostat - we installed that and all is well. This was a 6 year old water heater.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
1975 20' Argosy 20
woking , surrey
it of an anti climax.... I had ordered the pilot light assembly as well as a new thermo valve.... replacing the pilot light assembly did the trick...... burner stays on!!

thx for all advice!

Wiebe