Old 05-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
If you replaced the door with the stainless direct replacement you're OK.
Explosion vents for Dust Collectors are made of Stainless Steel so material is not the issue but ability to deform is!. Since there is only one holding clip at the top of the the door will blow off or buckle if it needs to.

jcw

Old 05-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
My original reply to this didn't post so here it is again...If the Stainless Steel cover is from Airstream then it is (presumably) OK. The type of metal isn't particularly important but the ability to deform or release from the catch is the issue. I never actually thought much about this until my heater started to "explode" from time to time. I had to repair the aluminum cover on my previous unit because the door flexed in the wind during travel....hence my "Flimsy" comment. The door is only held in place by the single catch at the top and the slotted opening will allow the door to shear and hinge down if the (explosive) pressure is too high.

jcw

Old 05-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
OK so it did post!
jcw
Old 05-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Air is essential

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Did you replace the door? That heater needs a LOT of air. Is the new door more restrictive that the old?

Clean the burner tube as a first approach.
Mr. HowieE is providing some key info. I will add: my experience is that my Suburban water heater won't stay lit @ altitudes above 6,000 ft unless I rig the heater's door to be ajar by several inches.
It can't get enough air thru the std. air opening.
U didn't mention whether this is a new incidence or that U R up in mountains.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Old 05-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
My original reply to this didn't post so here it is again...If the Stainless Steel cover is from Airstream then it is (presumably) OK. The type of metal isn't particularly important but the ability to deform or release from the catch is the issue. I never actually thought much about this until my heater started to "explode" from time to time. I had to repair the aluminum cover on my previous unit because the door flexed in the wind during travel....hence my "Flimsy" comment. The door is only held in place by the single catch at the top and the slotted opening will allow the door to shear and hinge down if the (explosive) pressure is too high.

jcw
Good to know.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Alaska View Post
Mr. HowieE is providing some key info. I will add: my experience is that my Suburban water heater won't stay lit @ altitudes above 6,000 ft unless I rig the heater's door to be ajar by several inches.
It can't get enough air thru the std. air opening.
U didn't mention whether this is a new incidence or that U R up in mountains.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Sea level.

Also, no insect life discovered in the heater tubes.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Did you physically remove the burner tube and blow it out from the orifice end or remove the orifice for visual inspection of the tube?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Abiquiu , New Mexico
I have a 34 Excella, 1993 and got the hot water heater started, it ran for an hour or so, but not much hot water, than it shut off and wouldn't come on again. It sounds like the tank was filled. I'm hooked up to city water. I think maybe it's because the bypass valve is not open. Where is the bypass valve? If that's not it I'm not sure what it is?

Melodie
Old 06-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Not sure about '93 models but typically the bypass valves are located near the hot water tank. In mine I have three valves. One prior to the inlet for the cold water, one on the exit of the hot. And finally a third valve that connects a pipe to both the hot and cold water lines. Typically if the tank is full and your water is luke warm, the problem is you have left that bypass valve open that connected the hot and cold water lines together. It's a pretty common mistake by new owners. I remember doing it myself.

That valve must be in the closed position, while the other two valves are in the open. When you winterize, the positions of the valves are reversed. This keeps you from pumping RV antifreeze into the hot water tank.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMilhoan View Post
I have a 34 Excella, 1993 and got the hot water heater started, it ran for an hour or so, but not much hot water, than it shut off and wouldn't come on again. It sounds like the tank was filled. I'm hooked up to city water. I think maybe it's because the bypass valve is not open. Where is the bypass valve? If that's not it I'm not sure what it is?

Melodie
Howdy Melodie! I suggest a new thread for this.... Use the Google search first.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMilhoan View Post

Melodie
reach under the bathroom sink to the left and you should find a single handle 1/4 turn valve. That valve handle should be upright in the summer position.

When first on the hot water heater will run for about 20 minutes and shut off against the thermostat. It will not run again until some water has been drawn off the tank.

Now if it did run through a cycle and you do not have HOT water there is a problem. you should have hot water in the =bathroom in second, maybe 10 or 15 before it reaches the kitchen.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote