Old 09-29-2016, 12:42 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
What was there should work for the new water heater unless the burner is way bigger and needs a lot more gas. Be sure to put the flare nuts on the copper tubing and facing the right direction before you make the flare! If you forget, that's why tubing cutters have that groove in the support rollers, that's where the flare fits as you cut it off!

ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Here's a quick link on copper tubing dimensions:

You'll notice 3/8" copper tubing will have 1/2" OD but different wall thicknesses result in different ID which aren't necessarily 3/8" either.
Almost all pipe is nominal, meaning what you call it size wise means that often there isn't a dimension that matches it exactly.

HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thanks to everyone for their input. I think what was happening is that sometimes copper tubing is defined by some by OD, and sometimes it's defined by some by ID - regardless of the correct way of doing it. So finally, I got a 3/8" Forged nut to see if it would fit on the threads of the gas orifice in this new Atwood water heater. It did. To me, that now means I need to run 3/8" OD (1/4" ID) to insure I have the right size to fit the orifice in the water heater - and - incidentally - that will also marry up with that shut-off valve below the trailer and match the line coming in from the main split!

Thank you to all for your input and advice. This was driving me nuts until I got all of the replies and was able to work thru it. You guys are GREAT!!!

My Sunday project is ON!!!
cheetah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Make sure you use made in USA copper 3/8 " ..I tried some from the local hardware store it was junk, very thin after ruining 1/2 the roll I took it back and they gave me all my money back, Home Depot had the good stuff...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:40 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thanks for the info. Home Depot is where I'm headed!

cheetah1 is offline   Reply With Quote